F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

about to purchase f4i without front components HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to purchase f4i without front components HELP PLEASE

Well first off im new here so hello to all the members,so basically im goin to purchase an 01 f4i a couple days from now but the bike had a touch down which unfortunately took away all of the front like gauge cluster,headlights etc so a couple concerns i have is if the bike would start without those components since i was planning to throw on a streetfighter kit on until i purchase the original parts (note:the reason why i couldnt test it myself is becauserr of the fall the switch on the handle broke off so idk if that would affect it from starting) a couple other concerns i had:can any1 give some feedback on those fairing kits selling on ebay for like $225-250 if its a good idea to buy them also i would appreciate any advice on how to go about getting back to the original state and if theres anything i should look out for thank you (sorry for the long read)

Old 08-30-2011, 06:10 PM

longest sentence ever, haha

Old 08-30-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by stingray
longest sentence ever, haha
ROFL. I thought I was the only one.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 PM

Would probably be better to buy another (working) bike, unless you're getting it for a very good price. Do you know how the damage happened? i would make sure you check the wheel, forks and frame for damage. also you'll need to bypass the tipover sensor with is probably missing as its hidden around the headlight somewhere.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ADRENALINE KID
\ a couple other concerns i had:can any1 give some feedback on those fairing kits selling on ebay for like $225-250 if its a good idea to buy them
Remember there are like over $200 shipping on most of those kits.
I bought from cbrfairings.com the were closer to the $600 range but they were top notch.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:10 PM

@jeffjones ill consider that thanks...and @monkeh yes im geting it at a gr8 price and i also personally know the bike,everything is mechanically sound,so since the tip over sensor is gone can i just install the streetfighter kit or i still hasve to do some modification??thank you btw

Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ADRENALINE KID
Well first off im new here so hello to all the members,so basically im goin to purchase an 01 f4i a couple days from now but the bike had a touch down which unfortunately took away all of the front like gauge cluster,headlights etc so a couple concerns i have is if the bike would start without those components since i was planning to throw on a streetfighter kit on until i purchase the original parts (note:the reason why i couldnt test it myself is becauserr of the fall the switch on the handle broke off so idk if that would affect it from starting) a couple other concerns i had:can any1 give some feedback on those fairing kits selling on ebay for like $225-250 if its a good idea to buy them also i would appreciate any advice on how to go about getting back to the original state and if theres anything i should look out for thank you (sorry for the long read)
I require cocaine/ mad adrenaline to read this sentence.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:57 PM
October 2011 ROTM

The kill switch will prevent the bike from starting so that will have to be hooked up. Also the headlights have to be plugged in as well as the bank angle sensor has to be hooked up and upright. You can throw a fighter kit on it but you will have to rewire a lot of the stuff in order to get it to work. And if you plan on putting fairing back on it then I would suggest not hacking into the wiring harness. As far as fairings go stick with a reputable company. I bought my fairings for my F4i though Delkevic and they were great. I have heard good things about Auctmarts and CBRfairings.com. Stick with those and you should be alright. I have heard really bad things about generic fairings. GL

Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

You need to find somebody your trust that knows about bikes & take them w/ you to thoroughly inspect the bike.

You need to know if there's more serious damage than what you are just seeing cosmetically. Also, you really need to know if the bike is going to start/run. These things are paramount b/f getting into replacing cosmetic components.

Not trying to discourage you from buying this bike but absolutely knowing what you are buying is the best course. You don't want unfortunate expensive repairs that you hadn't counted on. Many of us can give you moral support but w/o seeing the bike firsthand, its difficult to give you answers w/ any degree of certainty over the interwebs. ;-)

IF the bike is a good candidate for restoration...& you can verify this...then by all means, proceed w/a worthy project!

Good luck.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:31 PM

Thank you very much R DUb and Gotcbr..well as much as i would love to avoid hacking therr wirerr harness,going streetfighter is therr fastest and cheapest way for me to get the bike running so i guess i would have to search for a couple threads with details on how to do this and @Gotcbr the bike is totally worth briging back,i would try to post a couple pics

Quick Reply: about to purchase f4i without front components HELP PLEASE