CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   600F6 ('07) Model Downpipes. OEM or Aftermarket? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/600f6-07-model-downpipes-oem-aftermarket-151807/)

thewayup 04-28-2014 06:23 AM

600F6 ('07) Model Downpipes. OEM or Aftermarket?

Hi all,

I've read conflicting reports about this issue. Thought I'd ask for definitive pro/cons.

Thinking of replacing my downpipes only (have a scorpion end can which is perfect), currently using OEM downpipes (have never been changed).

I've been recommended the stainless steel ones from Sandy Bike Spares.

What are the pros and cons of OEM or these ones? Have heard that stainless steel sound more tinny / dead spots at 7k RPM etc, but that OEM are heavy, let less exhaust through etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

F

boredandstroked 04-28-2014 02:49 PM

You must be Europe, in which case everyone goes stainless because of rust issues. Stock headers work fine though, you won't get much power increase with aftermarket [maybe 2hp?].

thewayup 04-29-2014 02:38 PM

thanks for that.

I think what I'm trying to get at is the difference between OEM / Motad / Sandy bike spares. I've heard issues with the sandy ones as there aren't balance pipes. What is the difference in performance between the OEM and Motad?

Thanks again everyone

icedmind 04-30-2014 08:53 AM

sandy bike spare and delkevic have the same issue, no balance pipe = rough low end, lost power under 6k.
go for motad exhaust, they are much better although I'm not impressive with the welding but it definitely rescue the low end power
motad is just stainless version of OEM

riz 04-30-2014 01:30 PM

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I recently purchased the motard downpipes for my 01 cbr and although the pipes are great I now have an awful ticking sound in line with my revs. I put new gaskets bolts the works. Its not stuttering nor any loss of power just an annoying ticking sound I know wasn't there before. The clearance was checked at 27k and now ive covered 34k. Its defo not the cct, I know that sound very well! The guy at the garage said it sounds like the spark cap is faulty and the sound I'm hearing is actually the spark hitting the engine head. Before I spend more money buying caps has anyone come across this problem?

Thanks

icedmind 04-30-2014 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by riz (Post 1272820)
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I recently purchased the motard downpipes for my 01 cbr and although the pipes are great I now have an awful ticking sound in line with my revs. I put new gaskets bolts the works. Its not stuttering nor any loss of power just an annoying ticking sound I know wasn't there before. The clearance was checked at 27k and now ive covered 34k. Its defo not the cct, I know that sound very well! The guy at the garage said it sounds like the spark cap is faulty and the sound I'm hearing is actually the spark hitting the engine head. Before I spend more money buying caps has anyone come across this problem?

Thanks

I had full motad on mine and never had anything like that, in fact its quieter than the exhaust and less vibration than the ones that the PO put on without balance pipe.
I would say check plug, valve clearance and coil. maybe put up a video on youtube on both standing still and riding? that could help to identify the problem.

Edit: actually check the mounting bolt on the bottom of the engine is lined up, take it off grease and reassemble and see if its still doing it

riz 05-01-2014 12:59 AM

Thanks, will get on to that right away. One last question should i use new ngk or used oem caps?

thewayup 05-01-2014 05:20 AM

thanks for all your responses. So between the Motad and Honda mild steel OEM, what is the difference? Is there any loss of power if using the Motad over the OEM?

Thanks again

riz 05-01-2014 01:03 PM

Even though I'm experiencing this ticking noise it has to be motard for the long run, but I'm no expert!!

icedmind 05-01-2014 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by thewayup (Post 1272894)
thanks for all your responses. So between the Motad and Honda mild steel OEM, what is the difference? Is there any loss of power if using the Motad over the OEM?

Thanks again

Motad one is basically OEM replacement so it doesn't rust through over winter after a salty ride. Power wise its about the same but cant complain much because for the price of full system it come with a stainless open pipe which is much lighter than OEM one and sound nicer.

Taking both baffle out on the motad can will need re-maping for better performance

RIZ:NGK orginal plug and stock cap is what I went with; haven't had a problem with them