F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

520 vs 525

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006 | 02:36 PM
Fox
Banned
Default RE: 520 vs 525

It also depends on the type of chain you're going to use with the sprocket swap. X-ring chains are inherently superior to O-ring chains. There's a lot of variables here, including the different sized sprockets, different number of teeth on sprockets, chain manufacturer/model, chain type, etc.

Old 01-19-2006 | 03:08 PM

oh he's going to use DID 525 chain with vortex sprockets...but it won't be steel...but it'll still last as long.
there are not recommendations...YOU HAVE TO GET THESE...or else your dog and gf will turn into a pumpkin, and after reading this message you have to tell at least 20 other people, or you'll get premature wear on your sprockets (not on the chain cause DID is da KABOOM..)

Old 01-20-2006 | 08:49 AM

I am a big fan of my -1,+2 and a 520 conversion. That is what i did. Make a wonderful difference in acceleration, wheelie-ability, and has little or no effect on top speed. Just buy a quality chain and the wear difference will be unnoticable.

Old 01-21-2006 | 03:56 AM

well when i decide on either -1+2, or just a +3 I think I will be happy. Gonna stick with the 525's, why change what works, course I was gonna get a DID, with vortex sprockets. I was happy with the 12k miles I got on the stock chain within a year of buying it.

Not having a good pay period, this time round, winter time cleaned my bike, was getting it all ready for new chain and sprockets, cut the chain, then like the next day I roasted the pinion gear in my pick up, big $$$ for both, but my priority is on 2 wheels, not 4.

Old 01-23-2006 | 02:20 AM

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

Well I've only had my 520 on for about a month or so, so it hasn't really had a chance to wear of any significance yet. I did have to adjust it just a hair the other night cuz it was a little loose, but I figure since it's new it's gonna stretch a little bit initially regardless. A friend of mine used to have a Busa (has an RC-51 now), and it had the 520 chain (originally 530), and he said it stretched the chain out pretty quick. A Busa makes ALOT of power though, much more than an F4i, so might be alright on ours. Guess I'll wait and see too!

A busa or a liter bike should usually use a 520 anyway, it is too small. Unless it is for racing and you don't mind putting a new chain on every race. For the street, it or any liter bike should have a 525 or higher.

Old 01-23-2006 | 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: bikesnjeeps

well when i decide on either -1+2, or just a +3 I think I will be happy. Gonna stick with the 525's, why change what works, course I was gonna get a DID, with vortex sprockets. I was happy with the 12k miles I got on the stock chain within a year of buying it.

Not having a good pay period, this time round, winter time cleaned my bike, was getting it all ready for new chain and sprockets, cut the chain, then like the next day I roasted the pinion gear in my pick up, big $$$ for both, but my priority is on 2 wheels, not 4.
the DID will get your more than 12K...
in regards to the other things...depending on if you do it or not, like i said before, your gf and dog will turn into pumpkins. think about that.