F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

520 chain coversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 520 chain coversion questions

I'm looking to do the -1 +2 520 drive-chain conversion.

I just had a couple questions that I'm still a little unclear on after researching this for a couple weeks.

I have a 2005 CBR600F4i

I'm getting an RK GB520GXW chain.
I am between AFAM and Supersprox sprockets.
I heard that Driven and Renthal sprockets are also good.
I heard that Vortex sprockets are not good.

Any suggestions or comments?

What
exactly does it do to acceleration?
What
exactly does it do to top speed?

I know it is recommended that you get a speedohealer to fix your speedometer.

What exactly does it do to the speedometer?
What speedohealers are recommended?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 PM

I know without a speedohealer since the gearing is changed your speed and mileage will be off so you might be putting more miles on the clock than you are riding. Only bad if you ever intend to sell.

but I'm not sure about the other questions.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you get the 525 kit? It's much stronger and will last a quite a bit longer (as long as it's installed properly) The improvements from the weight reduction are very subtle, like maybe a tenth or two on lap times. In the streets you'll never notice the difference, till one day....

Old 07-17-2010, 10:48 AM

I didn't know you could go -1 +2 with the 525 chain. I didn't want to have to get a weaker chain, but everything I read said to do it with the 520. Thankss

Old 07-17-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by colbyDANIERI
I'm looking to do the -1 +2 520 drive-chain conversion.

I just had a couple questions that I'm still a little unclear on after researching this for a couple weeks.

I have a 2005 CBR600F4i

I'm getting an RK GB520GXW chain.
I am between AFAM and Supersprox sprockets.
I heard that Driven and Renthal sprockets are also good.
I heard that Vortex sprockets are not good.

Any suggestions or comments?

What
exactly does it do to acceleration?
What
exactly does it do to top speed?

I know it is recommended that you get a speedohealer to fix your speedometer.

What exactly does it do to the speedometer?
What speedohealers are recommended?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
good choice on the gearing choice. the 520 chain and sprocket IS the way to go. rk is the right chain. the vortex CAT5 are better than they were before but your sprocket choice is up to you. your saving rotational unsprung weight by getting the 520 kit which means more horsepower is hitting the ground, not increasing the amount you have. the speedo healer is a must, it will say your going faster than you really are and will destroy your odometer w/ mileage. w/ the set up you pick your acceleration will be amazing but you will probably lose 10mph off your top end. but getting there will be more fun how many of us ride 6th gear redline all the time anyhow. OO and if your interested,,,,, you'll be able to wheelie like a *****. on top of that your bike will look hot compared to the ugly chain and sprockets OEM. GO w/ the 520. If you were to consider not goin -1/+2 go -1/+1...less dramatic of change but performance enhancing that you will still be able to tell occur. Speedohealer brand not sure of.

OVERALL:
lighter, better acceleration, lower topspeed, better looking

Last edited by RMH3; 07-17-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:06 AM

sorry to be long winded lol

Old 07-17-2010, 02:38 PM

Have the Driven kit, put on in march '09...12000 mi later the rear sprocket teeth have shard finned. Going stealth supersprox right now. They offer lifetime guarantee on their rear sprocket if you buy the kit.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:56 AM

Thanks so much RMH3. That was very helpful. I think I will go with the Supersprox. The lifetime guarantee is awesome.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try to test drive a buddys bike with the -1 +2 sprockets if possible.
Try before you buy, if you can. Its not a stunt setup but it's a dramatic setup for a daily rider.

If you do any highway cruising you'll might to reconsider the gearing. Good for track/weekend ride. Not so good for a daily rider.

The high rpms on the highway forced me to switch back to stock gearing after 2 weeks. 520 conversion with stock gearing is my next purchase.

Yes, you'll wheelie like a **** but you can also wheelie the f4i all day with stock gears and some expierence

Just trying to show you all angles, not to talk you out of it.

Last edited by Sick97SS; 07-19-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:37 PM

Sorry if this has been answered already; I don't feel like reading through everyone's posts.

I currently have -1/+2 on mine (that's how I bought it). It'll accelerate quick, but still not as quick as a 1k. They just have too much torque to keep up with once you get moving. However, it's easy to wheelie, for sure. I've wheelied several times without even trying. Your odometer, speedometer, and trip odometer will read approximately 20% high (actual: 100 miles, recorded: 120 miles). I've had my bike up to 142 mph and it maybe had one or two more mph left.

I personally don't think making the switch is worth it (and I've actually ordered a stock gearing set). Engine is running at about 8,000 rpm at freeway speeds, which kinda gets irritating. Gas mileage is also decreased, and riding around at low speeds requires very sensitive throttle input for a smooth ride. If you're not stunting and you're not drag racing, I'd say save your money.

Last edited by kowen1208; 07-19-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 520 chain coversion questions