CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   520 or 525 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/520-525-a-132015/)

north 11-01-2011 10:23 AM

520 or 525

What would be better for a beginner rider? I read that the 525 wears slower, but is heavier, and has less acceleration as a result? Are these facts valid? Also, should I change anything related to the sprockets if I am replacing the rear sprocket and the chain?

DonnyBrago 11-01-2011 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by north (Post 1110648)
What would be better for a beginner rider? I read that the 525 wears slower, but is heavier, and has less acceleration as a result? Are these facts valid? Also, should I change anything related to the sprockets if I am replacing the rear sprocket and the chain?

You will not notice a performance difference between 520 and 525, mainly because it is negligible. The 525 will wear slightly slower.

Fit steel sprockets as they last a lot longer than aluminium and unless you are on a track and are a VERY good rider you will not notice the weight difference.

It is good practice to replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time, not essential but a good idea. The front sprocket will wear quicker than the rear, if your rear is worn then your front will be even worse (unless you have a blingy aluminium rear sprocket).

As for altering the gearing, not a lot of point unless you have a specific need (i.e. you are frequently in 1st gear and want more acceleration - if you are having this issue in any other gear you might as well just sit in a lower gear).

520 conversions, aluminium sprockets and altered gearing are all common "mods" on this forum but they are basically a waste of time/money for 99% of us.

jeffjones 11-01-2011 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by DonnyBrago (Post 1110652)
You will not notice a performance difference between 520 and 525, mainly because it is negligible. The 525 will wear slightly slower.

Fit steel sprockets as they last a lot longer than aluminium and unless you are on a track and are a VERY good rider you will not notice the weight difference.

It is good practice to replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time, not essential but a good idea. The front sprocket will wear quicker than the rear, if your rear is worn then your front will be even worse (unless you have a blingy aluminium rear sprocket).

As for altering the gearing, not a lot of point unless you have a specific need (i.e. you are frequently in 1st gear and want more acceleration - if you are having this issue in any other gear you might as well just sit in a lower gear).

520 conversions, aluminium sprockets and altered gearing are all common "mods" on this forum but they are basically a waste of time/money for 99% of us.

+1

Being that you are a new rider, you will not notice a difference between a 520 vs 525.
The only time you will notice it is when shaving milliseconds off a lap time.

north 11-01-2011 11:47 AM

Does anyone have a good chain/sprocket kit they would recommend then?

jeffjones 11-01-2011 12:29 PM

RK and DID are the OEM Honda Chains

DonnyBrago 11-01-2011 12:32 PM

Try and find a kit with the chain and sprockets together, tends to be cheaper.

DID chains are my chain of choice.

Are you in the UK or USA?

I know a few good places in the UK.

north 11-01-2011 02:15 PM

I am in the US.

gotcbr 11-01-2011 02:22 PM

Many of us have used Sprocket Center . They have good package deals & excellent customer service.

MadHattr059 11-01-2011 04:05 PM

+1 to Donny! Probably one of the most succient explanations of chain/sprocket issues
I've ever read. "Just the facts, ma'am", good job.

Ern