F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

330 mile ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 330 mile ride

ORIGINAL: CBaRson

if the bike is so uncomfy to ride? why dont u have risers on it now? A 330 mile ride isnt ****. thats like maybe a 3 hour ride....my question would be if u cant sit sitting on a bike that long, then why do u have it? just to a vehicle to get to work and back? or what?
Yeah, it is a three hour ride...at 110 mph. That seems a bit unrealistic if one wants to stay on the good side of the law. I rode a couple hundred miles recently, and felt that was about all I wanted to ride that day. I don't think that puts me in the category of being unworthy of a bike, though. I'm not flaming you or anything, but the man is going on vacation. He has a right to take it easy if he wants.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Border to border along I-5. almost 1500 miles, 3 day's, a backpack and bad saddle *** for a week. Wasn't to bad. Didn't keep me from riding when I got to where i was going either.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CBaRson

if the bike is so uncomfy to ride? why dont u have risers on it now? A 330 mile ride isnt ****. thats like maybe a 3 hour ride....my question would be if u cant sit sitting on a bike that long, then why do u have it? just to a vehicle to get to work and back? or what?
thank you for your truly constructive, unopinionated opinion. we truly need more people like you on this forum....oh wait...wrong person...

maybe the point of him getting the bike is to knee drag and take turns and not do an all highway ride? he's asking for suggestions, you gave nothing.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mybest is 209 in 1 day. I enjoyed the ride, but damn it got to a point where I just wanted to get there.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:52 PM

I'm a bit surprised at the comments about it being really uncomfortable. I ride an F4 and it is really comfortable... I guess the f4i has lower bars? I did an easy 600 mile day not too many weeks ago...

Some comments on comfort. Riding boots are more comfortable than boots. If you sit still you will get sore. If you keep moving it's not so bad. I'm 6' 1" and find it fits me well - are you much taller/shorter than I am?

330 miles of trailering is certainly possible. You can sit next to the little lady and enjoy the drive. Just note that driving with a trailer isn't exactly a joyous occaision and will limit your speed a bit.

The other option is to find someone enroute that you want to visit and spend the night there... 2 easy days of riding. Leave right after work, spend the night... wake up and get there before the little lady...

fwiw, woot.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 AM

I guess one other comment - back off the suspension setting for the highway to make it a bit more cushy... remember the number of clicks and put it back when you get there...

My miles were logged on a very stiff bike... but then again I didn't think it though well enough to soften it up either.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woot, don't you do a lot of distance riding anyways? A person has to build tolerance. If they've never done 100 miles, we cannot expect them to do 330.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:53 PM

I do do some long rides.

I'm just trying to remember when I started riding... when I started the first year the longest ride I did was probably 200 miles. The next year I went to New York, for a round trip of ~2500 miles. I was hooked... for some reason I really enjoy watching the painted lines blur past mile after mile.

I do have a very biased opinion. I think that 100 miles is only enough to start having fun . On the otherhand I'm still trying to understand why people are getting so sore at 100 miles. On the 600rr I can understand it more, as it is much more compact, and stressful on neck and legs.

From my experience I have learned that you have to make yourself as comfortable as possible to enjoy long rides.

It may sound foolish, but clothing is part of it. Some underwear dig into your thighs... wearing bike shorts or boxers can be much more comfortable. I wear thin pants or shorts for my rides... under my textile pants. I wear proper motorcycle boots, which are much more comfortable than the combat boots I wore the first few years. I pick the approprate pair of gloves from my shelf... I have vented, summer, track and winter gloves. I pick my touring helmet which is slightly older than my yet to be purchased new track helmet. I wear a t-shirt, and my textile jacket.

I do not have my weight on my arms, and I tuck only as low as is comfortable. If you full tuck an hour your neck will get sore. If you sit up straight for an hour your shoulders will get sore from the windblast. I ride a mix of on-the-tank tucks, upright, hanging on the wind... this way no body part gets overly tired or sore. If you don't move you will get sore. Once you are sore it's too late.

I ride with the ***** of my feet on the pegs... I switch to the heels every so often... and often on long rides I flick the passenger pegs down and superman it. It is by far the most comfortable position on the freeway. I have also used my indicator stalks as footpegs.

The point is I move my legs as much as my upperbody. Again - once you get sore you're sore and you can't change it.

This summer I'm planning my next route. I'm thinking of doing a day from Halifax-NS to Trenton-On, from Trenton through VE/PA/NH/NY on some senic roads, another day in NY, another day down to NJ, a day back to Ottawa-ON, and another day from there back to Halifax... rough estimates of 1000, 800, 300, 800, 1000 and1000 mile days. I also want to do a cross country trip... but that will have to wait a year or two.

Anyone that rides 100 miles should try 150. You may like it. The bike will certainly do it. The question is if the bike is the right bike to do it, and if you want to do it. I was looking for a VFR, but found an F4 instead. When I brought the F4 the conditon was it had to be comfortable... it certainly is for me. My question is, what is the F4i like compared to the F4?

Anyhow - very valid point... I do have a biased opinion... but what I'd like to gentally suggest is that 330 miles is possible, and might even be enjoyable to a lot more people than either of us think.

Woot.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:57 PM

How many miles feel comfortable to you? How many miles have you ridden in a day?

What part of your body gets sore first? How do you sit?

Risers are certainly an option... although I'd probably put the money into a tank bag and get the weight off the arms. You'd probably have enough left over for a sheepskin seat pad... which I hear work wonders.

Quick Reply: 330 mile ride