F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2nd hand buy; what to be aware of?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd hand buy; what to be aware of?

Hello everyone first time here and i must say its a great forum for the CBR
I have been looking at the CBR F4i 2001-2005 models and im going to buy one soon, just need a bit more money :P

are there anything i should be aware of or ask the seller when buying this model?
first time im buying a bike btw

Thanks
s1lVa

Old 02-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2nd hand buy; what to be aware of?

if purchasing online (or atleast viewing it there first) ask for pics of the sprockets, chain, tires.

ask if CCT has been changed (cam chain tensioner.....nothing serious, other than annoying sound), ever been layed down, stunted (1/2 the people lie about the last two).

in person, check fork seals for leaks, ask to start it up and let it run a bit and see if any color smoke comes out of the pipe after its warmed up, make sure the speedo works (around 18k miles the speedo sensor goes bad), make sure the chain has no rust on it.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:49 AM

If you don't know what your looking at or don't know anything about bikes I would strongly suggest taking it to a Honda dealership and pay for a pre-owned inspection. I ended up taking the first bike I bought back to the guy because of so much stuff wrong with it that I didn't recognize (at the time didn't know anything about bike maintence). Well worth it and makes you even more sure when you make your purchase. Just write up a contract saying he will give you full refund if you aren't satisfied with what the Honda dealerhship says.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:48 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

or better yet take it to the honda mech before you pay for it

if you have a buddy who knows more about bikes then you (really knows not just thinks he does) take them with you. always check with forks seals, stator cover leaks, chain adjustment, sprocket teeth see if they are chipped away or broken. make sure all the electrical works. tell the seller you perfer to do a cold start to see how it runs cold- warmed up
ask the basic questions about stunted, abused etc. and never be scared of a bikes title. some of the best deals i have found were "salvaged" titles and because of legit theft or some other cosmetic reason (seriously crazy how fast most insurance will salavage out a bike now adays) and even though a bike says its clean title doesnt mean its never been downed. check for any knicks or scratches on the frame ,swing arm, triple tree basically places on the bike that wouldnt get damaged unles it was really dropped hard.

chances are you live in an area where another member on this board does. meet these people become friends and hopefully they will assist you maybe it will maybe it wont happen but never hurts to ask

Old 02-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my F4i used, we agreed that he'd drop it at the dealer's for a checkout. I needed a state inspection anyway to transfer title. It was after the dealer put their seal of approval on it that I gave him the money, he gave me the keys and the title. Clean deal.