F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

25,000mile suspension overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25,000mile suspension overhaul

I got an F4i back in december with around 25,000miles on it. I got it at a good price, it needs a bit of work, but is making a great winter project. I just finished fixing scuffs and srapes on the body and prepped it for paint. Now I am on to the mechanical aspect of things. I would like to overhaul the suspention and was wondering if there are any reputable shock/fork rebuilders out there? I am also checked wheel/swing arm/steering stem bearings and I need to tighten up the steering stem, and replace the wheel/swing arm bearings. They are not horriable but I can feel minor slop when grabbing the wheels and wiggling them. Is there anything else you guys can think of suspention wise that I should check?

I could also go with low mileage shocks off a wreaked bikes, but I was thinking maybe getting them rebuild I could have it done custom for my weight which is about 145. I really don't know what weight rider Honda planned on tho.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Default RE: 25,000mile suspension overhaul

I use GP suspension. Not sure if they will rebuild the stock rear you would need to call. The bike comes set up for someone of your weight so a low mile stock would be a cheap option. Even though the the front is sprung for you it uses a progressive spring that I'm not a fan of if you ride hard. If your pressed for money I would get new springs and replace the oil in the front and call it good for a year, but if you got the doe, there is always room for improvement over stock valving and stacks

Old 01-20-2008, 06:32 PM

145 is about the ideal weight I think that the stock suspension is designed for. as for what you want to do, depends on what your budget is and what you are wanting out of the bike. You can rebuild the internals of your forks yourself for like $100 for bushings, seals, fluid the whole deal. the rear shock, should be alright, its not really serviceable by the average joe out in his garage. but you could replace it with a factory shock from a part out bike like you said. from there, it goes all the way up, sky is the limit.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:45 AM

I just ordered all fork bushings, sliders and (dust/oil)seals from BikeBandit along with front and rear wheel bearings and the swingarm pivot bearings and dust seals. I see there are ALOT of low mileage shocks on ebay so when I get a little more cash I will order up one of them as well.Slowly...SLOWLY the bike is coming together. I have all the minor damage to the body repaired and awaiting paint.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post up when you get 'er done.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

krash is right about the 145 set up mang...you're good to go, if anything, just change out the fork fluid for now and save the rest of the bling for the track. no need to change any bushings in the fork until they start to leak...maybe next week, maybe never.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:54 PM

Well, I want to replace items that wear out now while I am already working on the bike. Bushing do wear out and then they will take the fork seals with them if the seals have not already gone. The bike was rode pretty hard and at the end of the rebuild I will have a bike that may have 25,000 miles on it, but should ride like one with alot less miles and I won't have to deal with things wearing out and what not. It more like a restoration then an attempt to do the bike up real fancy.I hate it when I see a high milage bike, that is needs mechanical work but the kid that bought it spent his money on things like full exaust and power commanders and what not. It does not make sence to me.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you went with OEM bushings and seals right? they have some 'reusable' aftermarket seals and all they do is leak!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM

Yes, I went OEM. I always prefer OEM over aftermarket.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:35 PM

are you planning on doing the work yourself? fork jobs are a bit of a pain for the DIY'er.

Quick Reply: 25,000mile suspension overhaul