F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2004 f4i intermittently shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 f4i intermittently shutting off

hello everyone!!!! im apologizing in advance for the large amount of information and details that im about to give about my issue haha

its just getting to be nice weather finally here in the good old north jersey.

i brought the bike on the first ride of the season the other day and i stopped and got gas at a different gas station then i normally do.

the bike ran great for the 30 min ride to work, once i pulled in the parking lot i put the bike in nuetral and put the kick stand down and the bike "stalled out" it idled down real slow and stalled

i didnt think anything of it i figured it was the "first ride gitters" haha

when i was going to leave work i started it up to warm up and went inside to get my coat on and when i came out the bike was off.......weird right?!?!?!

one the way home that day while sitting in traffic the bike did the same thing idled down real slow and stalled out then the fuel pump wouldnt run so i had to sit there for a few mins before it started

did it again a few miles farther down the road

but then ran absolutly fine the rest of the day

brough it on a few other rides since then and it had run great

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST BUT IM TRYING TO GIVE AS MUCH DETAILS AS I CAN HAHA

so i went on a long ride last sunday and stopped at the local walmart and went inside.

when i came out i got all my gear on and went to start it up and flip the switch and the fuel pump wouldnt prime.

i took the seat off and played around with the relays in the back and checked the fuse and everything was fine.

so in a random act of old school i hit the tank where its ike normally under the seat like "fonzy" haha and the pump primed and the bike ran great again for at least 100 miles

after the night was done i pulled in my driveway put it in nuetral put the kick stand down and got off to open the garage door and it yet again idled down real slow and stalled out and this time it wouldnt fonzy hit and run haha.

it sat for a few days and now primes and runs yet again

im at a huge loss on this proplem. the bike just rolled over 5000 miles and other then this random issue the bike has never had any sort of an issue

thanks in advance,
steve

Old 05-14-2013, 08:28 PM

Could be the pump... Does it smell like gas when it cranks up?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:57 PM

Could be pinched/loose connection wires for the fuel pump, did you do some snooping around the wire harness for anything abnormal?