CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   2002 vs newer F4i Models... what would I miss? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/2002-vs-newer-f4i-models-what-would-i-miss-99828/)

Artric 08-27-2009 11:09 PM

2002 vs newer F4i Models... what would I miss?

Hi!

So I have a Ruckus and have been riding a Ninja 250 for work for most of the last year. It can be fun, but I need some more power. I'm looking for a Honda, and am considering either a naked 599/919 or a CBR F4i, leaning toward the latter.

I found a nice 2002 F4i with only 4k miles that's been on the market for awhile for $4k. I'm going to offer a little less cash and see how that goes (assuming it's in really nice condition).

Obviously, this will be a step up, but as I could look harder and get a newer bike - what would I be missing from newer models? I can't seem to find a good comparison.

The F4i seems like a good fit, because the RR goes for a premium, has less power down low and is less comfortable. The undertail exhaust is actually probably the biggest selling point on it for me. I'm assuming you guys would agree or you wouldn't be in this forum.

Any advice that you guys might have for me? Fill me in! Any opinions/comparisons on the naked bikes welcome as well!

PlayfulGod 08-27-2009 11:18 PM

only diff between the 02 F4i and say a 2006 (last year they were made) is the seat. In 2004 the F4i went back to the banana seat the F4 had and had it til they were discontinued.

Artric 08-27-2009 11:52 PM

So does 2002 have a split seat then? And there really are no other significant differences? Is the front fascia and all the same? If so, sweet!

What all should I look at with this bike? I hear there are potential CCT problems. How do I know if there is one? What else should I look out for?

Kevin48 08-28-2009 12:56 AM

Ride it! Bring it up between 5 and 6 thousand rpm's and if you hear the most annoying noise in the world, its the CCT. It will be a loud rattle that only happens in that rpm range, above or below you probably wont hear it. It's not that big of a deal if you do buy the bike, you can get the APE one for about $60 or get it replace at the dealer with an OEM one for less than $150. If you hear it I would use it as a bargaining point on the price of the bike!

Artric 08-28-2009 08:19 AM

Yeah, sounds good. Can a guy like me with pretty good mechanical acumen (I can pull the tank and adjust the valves on my Ninja, for instance or swap the tranny in my old Integra), fix that himself?

Are there any differences that are not cosmetic between the years though?

Seafordguy 08-28-2009 08:19 AM

01-03 were the split seats. Other than that NO difference. IMO the split seat is a much nicer look.

When I am in 6th gear my CCT rattles RIGHT at 60mph, and dissapears by 62mph. It is annoying and eventually I would get it fixed, but I am not tripping overmyself to get around to it - like was said it is between the 5 and 6k range. Lots of guys on here with LOTS of mileage with a rattling CCT. The APE one that Kevin48 suggested is a manually adjustable one and removes the problem permanently.

Other than that, just look for the obvious - does everything work, is the bike stock, are there any Oil Leaks, any service history, is the oil fresh or black and crappy, do the Fork seals have oil leaks, How does the clutch feel/engage. You probably can't go wrong with a bike with 4k on it unless they were HORRIBLY hard miles....

Seafordguy 08-28-2009 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Artric (Post 829167)
Yeah, sounds good. Can a guy like me with pretty good mechanical acumen (I can pull the tank and adjust the valves on my Ninja, for instance or swap the tranny in my old Integra), fix that himself?

Yes-you won't have any problem

Artric 08-28-2009 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Seafordguy (Post 829168)
01-03 were the split seats. Other than that NO difference. IMO the split seat is a much nicer look.

When I am in 6th gear my CCT rattles RIGHT at 60mph, and dissapears by 62mph. It is annoying and eventually I would get it fixed, but I am not tripping overmyself to get around to it - like was said it is between the 5 and 6k range. Lots of guys on here with LOTS of mileage with a rattling CCT. The APE one that Kevin48 suggested is a manually adjustable one and removes the problem permanently.

Other than that, just look for the obvious - does everything work, is the bike stock, are there any Oil Leaks, any service history, is the oil fresh or black and crappy, do the Fork seals have oil leaks, How does the clutch feel/engage. You probably can't go wrong with a bike with 4k on it unless they were HORRIBLY hard miles....

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it! So the CCT issue doesn't pose a threat of actually causing damage then - is that right? It's really more of an annoyance?

I'm also really considering a 2004 599, if it's still available. Am I correct that it uses the same motor, just detuned for midrange? And I've seen conflicting info that the bike is carb and not FI. I'd really prefer the latter, but don't have a really compelling reason, except that carbs are just a bit of a pain and I don't want to support old tech.

Also, do you think the 599 would be more or less comfortable for long trips? I believe the posture is better, but less wind protection. Or is the posture exactly the same?

And one last question - what kind of mileage are you guys getting on your bikes? I'm considering either letting it replace my 250 Ninja for a daily driver, or being a second bike (but I'm really short on garage space, and want to sell the Ninja for a bike for my lady).

Thanks again!

R Dub 08-28-2009 11:52 AM

I don't think the CCT will cause any damage unless you let it get extremely loose but I have not heard of anyone letting it get to that point.

As far as the 599 goes it does use carbs instead of FI. Also the motors are similar but different the F4i has a slightly bigger bore. As for the comfortability, it would be a personal preference. I would go with the F4i as well. It does have a little more tavel in the supension.

I get 40 mpg out of my F4i as a daily commuter.

Seafordguy 08-28-2009 02:48 PM

Agree with R Dub - I don't think it will cause any damage if you deal with it at some point. I wouldn't put 50,000 miles on the bike while it rattles, but I don't think that 10 or 15k is going to hurt it.

I get about 45 on my F4i - mine is Bone Stock as opposed to R Dub's who has the mods seen in his sig (significantly the -1 Front)