F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2002 Honda F4i w/ stunt kit back to normal? Noob Questions too!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Honda F4i w/ stunt kit back to normal? Noob Questions too!

I was wondering what would be required to take a "stunt bike" F4i back to a normal F4i? I am not 100% what has been changed but the guy selling the bike told me it the stunt kit costs about $1000.

I am pretty new to bike but I have worked on cars for almost 10 years so its not like I am mechanically retarded.

Also do you think a 6'5 guy @ 280lbs would be too much for this bike to handle? Do you think the bike will be too small? I was told by a few people that I should get a "big" bike but at the same time I don't want to be an idiot and get a 1000cc bike that I can't handle.

What do you guys think? I am open to opinions and flaming

Old 11-08-2011, 04:17 PM

not exactly sure what a "stunt kit" is. If the bikes got a 12 bar, dented tank, streetfighter headlight, hand brake, etc. Youll need a new tail fairing and maybe passenger seat and might need a taillight and such if the bike isnt street legal, if it is then just an uncut tail fairing and maybe passenger seat. That could cost you 1-150 on the low end and maybe 2-250 on the high end. If the gas tank is dented and you want one that isnt thats probably gonna be around 2-250. The front fairing and headlights could cost you around $300 if you get non-oem ones off ebay. Fairings and a paintjob might be required also so youre looking at around $700-1000 at least. If the bikes in good condition and not too high mileage you could still come out on top though. It just may require a little work.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 PM

Let me start off by saying that there's no way its too much bike for you, you might be a tiny bit slower in a quarter mile but there's no reason to kill yourself with a 1000 just because an 11.5 quarter mile might become 11.8, or something similarly minuscule (making up numbers, but that's beside the point)

Anyway, as someone who made the same mistake you're considering making who hasn't had a functional bike for the last month with a problem I can't figure out for the life of me, I'd just tell you to get a stock-ish bike that hasn't been heavily modified for higher reliability. Chances are, the bike became a stunter after it was downed, and then if it was stunted it obviously took even more of a beating, so chances are you'll be buying a bike that's been beaten to hell to save a couple hundred when in fact it'll cause much more frustration and money than just getting a stock bike for a few hundred more.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:54 PM

At the same time, if you do get the bike, I'd recommend leaving it in its stunt formation for a while.. Or whatever the minimum to street legalize it is. You WILL drop your bike for some stupid reason at some point when you're learning how to handle it and its much better to just throw some spray paint on a stunt cage than repairing a fairing after a fall.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:24 PM

honestly, stunting gear is not a "kit" and how much protection one puts on is entirely dependent on their level in the game. you have crash cages, 12 bars, or round bars, dented gas tanks, handbrakes and dual caliper rear brake setups(which are awesome and should be kept) oversize sprockets (NOT so awesome for street, and should be tossed) sometimes these bikes are also modified to eliminate fairings, sometimes not, dependin on how the previous owner wants it.

also, people who say get a "big bike" are the people you walk away from because they're morons. an F4i is an EXCELLENT bike. in every sense.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:31 PM

my friends your size and used to ride my f4i all the time. Itll obviously seem a little sluggish compared to someone half your sized riding it but youre by no means too much for the bike. Itll still have plenty of power for you to enjoy it and have fun on the thing. So definitely nix the 1000 idea till you get some experience. The f4i's have excellent low end torque for a 600 but you could always try finding a bike with a 650 or similar sized vtwin that makes even more torque to compensate? But all in all youll have no regrets with the f4i.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 to the above, the 1000 isn't really a bigger frame, just bigger engine, mostly.
I would also recommend not bying a ex-stunter, due to the mind-set of the crowd.
The bike will have been thrashed pretty hard. Although it sounds like you've got the chops, unless you are looking for a complete re-build project...body/frame AND engine,
you might want to keep looking. Think of that lifted, blown 70's chevy nova with the craigers and the hood wired shut kind of thing. lol

Ern

Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 PM

as a rule of thumb, stunters generally DO beat their bikes, however some do not. One customer of mine is a stunter, and since he's met me, his stuff is well cared for, and not really thrashed or destroyed.

the critical thing is, ask about maintenance. oil changes, valve adjustments, plugs, brakes, fork oil and seals. important details like this are crucial. any GOOD stunter will keep up on these kinds of things and ensure his/her stuntbike is in top shape.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by nickp123
not exactly sure what a "stunt kit" is. If the bikes got a 12 bar, dented tank, streetfighter headlight, hand brake, etc. Youll need a new tail fairing and maybe passenger seat and might need a taillight and such if the bike isnt street legal, if it is then just an uncut tail fairing and maybe passenger seat. That could cost you 1-150 on the low end and maybe 2-250 on the high end. If the gas tank is dented and you want one that isnt thats probably gonna be around 2-250. The front fairing and headlights could cost you around $300 if you get non-oem ones off ebay. Fairings and a paintjob might be required also so youre looking at around $700-1000 at least. If the bikes in good condition and not too high mileage you could still come out on top though. It just may require a little work.
Thanks for the input. I'm not 100% sure what it meant parts wise when he said stunt bike but he said the parts cost about $1000 for the parts.

Honestly I would leave it for a little and scoop up deals on craigslist. I figure I probably will drop it eventually so no point in replacing it right away only to break it

Painting I don't have to worry about because my cousin has a body shop so I don't think it will be too expensive either....the bike is up for sale for $1500 for an f4i