F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2002 F4i won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2002 F4i won't start!

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find a solution to my problem so....
I have a 2002 CBR600F4i that won't start. Yesterday it started fine and I rode for about 15 miles and stopped to get something to drink. When I went to start it again it wouldn't start. I turn the key on, the fuel pump primes, hit the start button and all I get is a single click. I turned the key off and on a couple times(fuel pump always primes) and tried it again and nothing(just the single click). Turned the kill switch off and on a couple times and that didn't change anything. Walked around the bike looking for any loose wires or anything out of place, didn't find anything. Raised and lowered the kisck stand a couple time, still nothing(just a single click when I hit the start button). I sat there for a few minutes and tried it again and she fired up and ran like normal. So I rode home, pulled into the garage, turn it off, and tried to start it again and she started so I figured maybe just a loose connection somewhere or some fluke thing. Well today I go to start her to head to school and she won't start. Fuel pump is priming, lights come on, like everything is fine but when I hit the start button I get a single click. I pulled the seat and checked the battery connections and voltage and the connections are fine and the battery reads 12.95 volts. I tried starting it with the seat off and realized where the click was coming from, it's a small black box next to the battery. It has 2 larger gauge wires connected to it as well as a red 4 pin connector that also covers a 30A fuse. After looking at the schematic on baik bandit I think it's called a magnetic starter switch? I'm hoping someone on here might have had or heard of this issue before and can give me some input as to what the problem might be? Do the symptoms sound like this starter switch has gone bad? Is there any way for me to test the switch itself? I have a digital multi-meter. Any input/help is greatly appreciated. I'm planning on removing the switch tonight and calling Honda in the morning to go pick one up, hopefully they have one in stock and it's not outrageously priced. Bikebandit has one for $85. But again if that isn't the problem then I don't want to waste money buying a part that doesn't need to be replaced.

Below are some pics I took of the part thats making the click noise.

the part with the cover on and connector plugged in

the part with the cover pulled back and connector plugged in still

cover off connector unplugged and you can kinda see the 30A fuse in the middle of it

same as above but from another angle

Old 04-04-2011, 10:55 PM

That's a starter relay and if if clicks there is a good chance it's working. in order to test the switch see if you have power on the large gauge waire that goes to the starter when you press the crank button. If you do it works. If not then it could be a couple of other issues but I'm guessing it probably works. It sounds to me like you have a couple of bad brush contacts in your starter and you'll most likely need a starter motor.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13
That's a starter relay and if if clicks there is a good chance it's working. in order to test the switch see if you have power on the large gauge waire that goes to the starter when you press the crank button. If you do it works. If not then it could be a couple of other issues but I'm guessing it probably works. It sounds to me like you have a couple of bad brush contacts in your starter and you'll most likely need a starter motor.
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll try that and see if there is voltage going to the starter when I hit the button.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:13 PM

Well when I check the voltage of the battery its 12.8-12.9 when I hit the start button and check the voltage going from the switch to the starter its 12.04. So the switch/solenoid thing is sending voltage to the starter. So chances are its a bad starter? Any idea how hard/easy it is to replace the starter?

Last edited by thePUNISHER; 04-04-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 PM

So after trying what jp_greenville13 recommended and then going thru the manual and bypassing the switch/solenoid and running voltage straight to the starter the starter didn't engage so it looks like the starter is bad, not the switch/solenoid. So I'm going to call the shop in the morning and get a quote on what the starter costs as well as what they'll charge for installation to see if I am going to buy it online and attempt to install it myself or just get it towed to the shop and let them do it.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:46 AM

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2011, 03:06 AM

Good luck!
Thanks! I'm hoping they aren't going to charge some crazy huge amount to replace it. I'm also hoping it won't take too terribly long, the weather here is PERFECT for riding right now!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my bike bug on me a while back and I somehow fixed it by changing the bike's main 30A fuse.... (the one you point at in the pictures)

It might have nothing to do with it but it's quick and cheap to try. Right?

Old 04-05-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
I had my bike bug on me a while back and I somehow fixed it by changing the bike's main 30A fuse.... (the one you point at in the pictures)

It might have nothing to do with it but it's quick and cheap to try. Right?
Yeah I tried swapping out that fuse yesterday & it still wouldn't start. Gonna try bump starting it today to get it to the shop.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:18 PM

Got it started and it's at the shop. Since it will start sometimes and other times it won't he thinks its either a loose connection or bad/dirty/rusty brushes in the starter. He is going to check it out today and let me know what the problem is this afternoon/evening. Oh and if anyone is in the Modesto Cali area and needs work done on their street or dirt bike you should DEFINITELY give Matt a call at Borup Only Suspension Services on Carpenter Rd. He's a GREAT guy who knows his shtuff.

Quick Reply: 2002 F4i won't start!