Go Back  CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners > Past CBR Models > CBR 600 F4i > F4i - Main Forum
Reload this Page >

2002 F4i, seat gets stinking HOT after 10 minutes of highway riding...?

F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2002 F4i, seat gets stinking HOT after 10 minutes of highway riding...?

Old 07-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Default 2002 F4i, seat gets stinking HOT after 10 minutes of highway riding...?

Hey Guys,

I recently bought an F4i and have been riding it for the past few days. Just today after cruising on the highway (~75mph) for a bit I noticed the driver seat getting really hot underneath me. It was almost like I have a heated seat on the bike.... I've been watching the coolant temps and they've been solid at 178 - 180 F at cruising. The bike is completely stock at the moment. When I got home I pulled the seat cushion off and the ecu underneath was really warm to the touch. Not sure if that's the source of the heat, I guess it could be getting heated from the engine underneath.

Is this a normal thing for CBR's or is my bike having a problem? I'll tell you, it's extremely uncomfortable to ride on this thing when your rear feels like it's sitting on a frying pan Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Matt

Last edited by tundra; 07-06-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:18 PM

i have heard the same on f4i;s i have a 99 f4 and it dont do it so idk... i think there is a electrical box or something that causes it , hopfully someone els can chime in and say for sure !

Old 07-06-2009, 11:22 PM

My neighbors '02 does the same thing. We too have noted the warm ECU but t is nowhere near as hot as he says his seat gets. I think it may be engine heat rising but how to stop/reroute it is still to be determined.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 AM

Thanks for the replies guys! Wow, so it sounds like it could be a common occurrence then If anyone has tried to counter measure the issue with success I would love to hear all about it.

-Matt

Old 07-07-2009, 06:14 AM

I haven't got a counter measure but just some extra reassurance...I've got an 01 F4i and the seat does the same thing. I chalk it up to engine heat...not an electrical issue. I'm going to end up taking my seat off in the cold season and have extra padding added which will probably help with the heat issue...the only thing I can think of that you might be able to use to deflect the heat would be firewall tape or something like that. It's used in cars and can be picked up at most parts stores (I think even Home Depot sells it...for fireplace applications)...It's basically the width of duct tape and is nice and shiny (looks alot like tinfoil)...helps insulate from heat and you could easily stick a couple of strips to the bottom of your seat. Again, just an idea...not sure how well it work.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:18 AM

my 04 f4i does the same thing. In fact, the frame heats up nicely as does the gas tank. you're pretty much sitting on an engine that is reaching temps of 200+ degrees sometimes, so the heat has to go somewhere...and it usually goes up.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:50 AM

How hot was the outside temp when this happened. I live in Wis and I have noticed it gets pretty hot, but only when the temps are around 80+.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 AM

I've noticed the same on my '02... and my friends who have ridden it say it's the hottest bike they have ridden. No fix yet... I think it's just engine heat.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by BTEFOUREYE View Post
I haven't got a counter measure but just some extra reassurance...I've got an 01 F4i and the seat does the same thing. I chalk it up to engine heat...not an electrical issue. I'm going to end up taking my seat off in the cold season and have extra padding added which will probably help with the heat issue...the only thing I can think of that you might be able to use to deflect the heat would be firewall tape or something like that. It's used in cars and can be picked up at most parts stores (I think even Home Depot sells it...for fireplace applications)...It's basically the width of duct tape and is nice and shiny (looks alot like tinfoil)...helps insulate from heat and you could easily stick a couple of strips to the bottom of your seat. Again, just an idea...not sure how well it work.

you have the right idea with the tape. all you need to do is make a heat shield for it it will still get hot just not as bad or as fast.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:14 PM

Wow that does sound like it gets pretty hot.
Its strange though, I have an 01 F4i and I live in TX, just yesterday it was 106 out, and even then on the ride home (about 35miles) the bike dident get that hot, probably toped out at 205-210temp at a few traffic stops and when I finally got home and turned off the engine it might have been around 190-200.
Could it be maybe a type of coolant you are using?
My seat has never gotten that hot, I will say that my legs, the calf area primarily get a bit hot but only on longer trips, usually 50+ mile treks.
But the seat burning your rump...that is a head scratcher.
That idea with the heat reflective tape sounds like it might aid your problem, wouldent hurt to try.

Last edited by Joey_f4i; 07-07-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 F4i, seat gets stinking HOT after 10 minutes of highway riding...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.