F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2002 F4I blowing fuse

Old 03-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 F4I blowing fuse

Whats up guys. I bought the bike yesterday. When I went to go look at it, I had a good friend of mine go with me, whom has been around bikes for awhile and knows what to look for. So we get to the guy house look the bike over. Looks good! So I just turn the key on. No turn signals, no brake light, and no horn. Checked the fuse, fuse was blown. He said he had it on a battery tender, and my buddy said that that wat was probably caused the fuse to blow. The guy had just put the turn signals on like a week ago, cause when he bought it, it didnt have turn signals. And he said that the right front never worked when he put them in. So we put a new fuse in it, everything works. My buddy takes it for a test ride. Everything is good. Buy the bike, bring it home. It sat all day cause i was working. When i got home i went out and was messing around with it, same thing.. Nothing works. What do you guys think it could be? I am thinking that maybe he didnt install the right front properly and is shorted out and keeps blowing the fuse. I am going to take these turn signals off and put flush mount LEDs in. But I just wanted to pick your guy's brains. Thanks in advance!

Here is a picture of the front that i took when we stopped on the way home. You can kind of see the signals.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 F4I blowing fuse-25898_415235072813_520207813_5523211_6478856_n.jpg  

Last edited by JTProuhet; 03-31-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:55 PM

disconnect the signals and see what happens .

Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a short somewhere, and the signals should be the first place you check. sounds like you pretty much know what to look for so get at it.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:57 PM

Wat brand of flush mounts do you guys suggest? And if I do LEDs do you have to do anything to get them to flash correctly? I just know on cars if you do LEDs, they will blink fast cause the LEDs use less energy to light.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by JTProuhet
Wat brand of flush mounts do you guys suggest? And if I do LEDs do you have to do anything to get them to flash correctly? I just know on cars if you do LEDs, they will blink fast cause the LEDs use less energy to light.
I have these on my bike
http://www.d2moto.com/1997-2008-Hond...s105-smoke.htm

Yea you are suppose to get a resistor or the variable load flasher << or something like that. But I just let mine flash fast I think that it draws more attention.

Last edited by dmcb2120; 03-31-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by dmcb2120
I have these on my bike
http://www.d2moto.com/1997-2008-Hond...s105-smoke.htm

Yea you are suppose to get a resistor or the variable load flasher << or something like that. But I just let mine flash fast I that it draws more attention.

Ya. True never thought about that. I might just do like you did. Good idea

Old 04-01-2010, 05:25 PM

i hate electrical problems

look for anything not stock and start looking at wires....

i Took apart my whole bike to get all the wiring correct.

it was a pita but definitely worth it

Old 04-02-2010, 12:50 AM

Well, Im pretty sure I found the problem. I havent had time to mess with it and make it right to see if it fixes it. BUT.. it looks like the azzhat that put the turn signals on, just twisted the wires together and then used electrical tape to hold them together. I had the key on and touched the bundle of tape and got a little shock out of it. So im almost 100% positive that is my problem. I am going to pull them apart and use some butt connectors for the time being. I ordered a set of LED flush mounts from the local powersports place today, should be here early next week and then when i install them, im going to solder them in and put shinkwrap on them. I pulled a couple of connectors apart under the passenger seat and there was a little corrosion. So while im messing with the lights, im going to put dielectric grease to good use and put some on every connector on the bike. I will let you guys know when the problem is fixed.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you wire it up correctly. Don't go by how the po wired it up, he could have wired it up wrong. Green is ground, the solid blue/orange (depending on which side) is the signal and the ones with the stripe are for the running lights, which will be capped off since you won't be able to use the LEDs as running lights, unless you wire in diodes to keep the juice from the running lights from back feeding up the signal wires.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by JTProuhet
I ordered a set of LED flush mounts from the local powersports place today, should be here early next week and then when i install them, im going to solder them in and put shinkwrap on them.
ok i know the solder and heatshrink will be stronger and more prof. looking but just keep in mind that anytime you need to pull the faring you'll have to cut those wires. I put connectors on mine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 F4I blowing fuse