CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   2002 Cbr f4i won't fire (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/2002-cbr-f4i-wont-fire-154070/)

Pdalt1002 01-03-2016 08:00 AM

2002 Cbr f4i won't fire

I've read basically every thread on similar problems. I'm hoping someone has SOME type of insight on where to look next. So I got this bike off a trade. I knew that it didn't start. Kid said his brother used his battery and then when he put it back the bike wouldn't start. I thought it was an insufficient battery but it's showing well over 10.8 while cranking, more in the 11 or 12 range. The bike cranks and cranks but doesn't fire. The fuel pump primes, I put new fuel in it. Pulled and replaced all the spark plugs, grounded them on the head and they aren't getting spark. I don't have a "peak voltage adapter" like the service manual says but with the key on the inside of the coils are getting 12. I checked the pink wire in the harness up front, it was within spec. My kill switch is obviously working cause my bike won't crank when it's turned off. The bike is throwing an error code 19. Which is the ignition pulse generator. I replaced it with a brand new one. Still nothing. Kick stand switch works as it should. Cranks with the kick stand up, doesn't crank with the kickstand down while in gear. The neutral light comes on while in neutral and cranks with the kickstand down. Should I trace the harness next or should I bite the bullet and pick up an ECU. Please ANYONE with ANY information is very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Pdalt1002 01-05-2016 08:21 PM

Someone, anyone PLEASE! I'm chasing my own tail here!

Mattson 01-06-2016 04:19 AM

Umm... just to throw an idea, is there a bank angle sensor on you bike? A.k.a. the tipover switch. Dunno would it allow the pump to prime if it's triggered though... not familiar with the model and not a whole lot of f41:ists around these days...

Pdalt1002 01-06-2016 07:32 AM

Thank you for the insight. there is a bank angle sensor, im not sure if it would prime if it was faulty/triggered. Ill have to look into how to bypass it i supposed but its facing the right way so Im not sure how to tell if its triggered on or not.

74demon 01-06-2016 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pdalt1002 (Post 1293027)
Thank you for the insight. there is a bank angle sensor, im not sure if it would prime if it was faulty/triggered. Ill have to look into how to bypass it i supposed but its facing the right way so Im not sure how to tell if its triggered on or not.

Correct. The pump will not prime if it's faulty.

I'd be looking at the IPG exciter ring next.

Pdalt1002 01-07-2016 09:54 AM

ill have to google what the ignition pulse generator exciter ring is. I have the service manual and after replacing the IPG sensor, (cause it was throwing the code 19; faulty ignition pulse generator) it doesnt say where to go from there. any insight on the IPG exciter ring? I really appreciate the help

74demon 01-07-2016 09:08 PM

Its the ring inside that the IPG picks up when the motor is turning.

Pdalt1002 01-08-2016 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1293055)
Its the ring inside that the IPG picks up when the motor is turning.

Ok; I'll replace that next. Is it common for that to to bad? It's just a piece of metal

74demon 01-11-2016 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Pdalt1002 (Post 1293063)
Ok; I'll replace that next. Is it common for that to to bad? It's just a piece of metal

No, its not a common thing to go bad. Just check it to make sure it didn't get damaged somehow.

Pdalt1002 01-25-2016 10:00 AM

Does Anybody think it would be the ECU? since i replaced the faulty IPG? im going to get the ring next. If i replace the ECU does it have to be year specific or just any f4i between 01-06?