F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2002 cbr F4I..Still a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 cbr F4I..Still a good choice?

hello all, I have been riding an 08 ninja 250r for a year and am ready to step up to a 600. I have been looking at the new 600rr and gsxr 6 but they are more than I want to spend. I also don't think i need the extreme sport tuning those bikes offer. I am looking to have some fast fun and willing to do performance mods down the road when i have outgrown the stock setup. I am looking for something comfortable to ride on for a couple hours as well as with a passanger. I found an 02 F4I that looks to be a good deal. I just wonder if I am missing some great technology by picking out an older bike. just looking for some input on this bike. I heard there is no posative neutral finder? Do they have any built-in issues I should be looking for before I purchase one? It seems their owners are very loyal. any imput helps. thanks in advance, Brad

Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 PM

Can't speak on the street-cred of an F4i but I know for a fact it's still a very capable machine at the club-level of racing....for whatever it's worth.

Never had an issue with finding neutral as long as the bike is rolling.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:51 PM

the major differences between an F4i and an rr is weight and riding position
some say that 600rrs are smoother, both in the motor and transmission

personally my F4i is very smooth all around and going from a 250r to either one it'd be night and day

i say get an F4i if you plan on riding for extended periods of time especially with a passenger

as for issues it's basically just the cam chain tensioner will make a rattling noise in the midrange rpms - usually just annoying

Old 03-03-2009, 09:29 PM
July 2008 ROTM

The RR is only a hair lighter than the F4i.

It's a plenty capable bike that will be lots of fun. I still surprise the hell out of some guys we ride with on my little old F4i. Go for it.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 PM

the f4i is a great bike
i think its plenty comfortable and have ridden 4 or 5 hours in a day without any major discomfort
the only regular and known problem is the CCT, like mentioned above
its pretty cheap to fix, i think 60-70 bucks, but not necessary
mine rattles a little but i havent messed with it yet

like everyone says, they are tanks
all you have to do is change the oil and show it some love and it will return the favor
i would def recommend getting the f4i

Old 03-04-2009, 12:49 AM

Personally i would agree with everyone else and say go with the f4i. I was in the same boat as you are, i started out on a ninja 250 and then when i was ready to go bigger i was debating between the two. Honestly both bikes have more power than your ever even going to use on the road. However the f4i is certainly a lot more comfortable especially for taking long trips or riding with a passenger. let us know what you go with and how it goes good luck!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:00 AM

I love my 02 f4i

Old 03-04-2009, 08:26 AM

The only common issue is the CCT which only makes an annoying sound. For longer trips it still is uncomfortable but you get used to it. Performance wise it'll do everything you want it to. f4i's are great bikes

Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 AM

i love the f4i and the rr. ive ridden both, and both are orgasmic machines. i have not spent enough time around the rr to tell you why you shouldnt buy it because of problems. i can tell you that, as many other have said, the f4i is bulletproof. ive slid mine down the highway at 60+, slid it into and over a curb at above 50, and both times ive ridden home with no mechanical problems and never replaced anything. she still rides perfectly today. she is comfortable to ride for 6+ hours a day as long as youre not wearing a backpack. if you want the looks of the rr, go for the rr. if you want a tad more comfort in a pretty similar bike, go for the f4i. you wont be disappointed as long as you ride red.

Quick Reply: 2002 cbr F4I..Still a good choice?