CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   2002 CBR F4i fuel problem (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/2002-cbr-f4i-fuel-problem-158338/)

Andy808 10-17-2018 12:30 AM

2002 CBR F4i fuel problem

Hey everyone I have been having trouble with the fuel on my bike. I have had it for about 3 months now and it has 16k miles on it. first month and a half I didn't have any problems with the bike ran smooth. after that I have been having issues with the bike slowly dying when the bike has been running for awhile. When I first start her up she is about 14-15 hundred rpms but after warm up it stays at 1000rpms. I have trouble starting her up after I have been riding. The throttle lags and is slow to respond. The bike won't go past 7000rpms. I get 40mpg. I did replace the spark plugs 2 of them were pretty burnt and the other 2 were in fair shape, after replacing them I was able to go past 7000 rpms for a little bit but now back to the same problem.

boredandstroked 10-20-2018 04:48 PM

Why do you think this is a fuel problem?

Andy808 10-20-2018 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 1318048)
Why do you think this is a fuel problem?

because I’m burning a lot of fuel

boredandstroked 10-22-2018 06:55 PM

Not at 40mpg your not.
Check the fuel pressure regulator, that's easy. Then check actual fuel pressure. Lastly check the ignition coils. Anything else should be setting off a check engine light. Oh might wanna check valve clearance just to eliminate that as well.

Webby64 10-23-2018 10:00 AM

I bought a 03-954rr & had some same rising defects

Not that i'm saying you have the same, but i bought a 03- 954rr, & the fuel set up is much the same, & i had almost the same defect as you although i had many others, But 1st thing is getting the manual for that model, my RR-3 would do the same - when it 1st started up being EFI when cold start ups it was like a auto choke running 500 to 750rpm higher than normal, but when the RR-3 would warm up the idle wouldn't be stable & some times snuff. At 1st i tried to adjust the throttle cable but that didn't work, then i kept trying to adjust the idle knob but that wasn't working either. So i bit the bullet & ordered on line because after market parts ordered on line are so cheap it's the best ( But you must be 100% sure of the parts you are ordering) so i ordered a new RR-3 fuel pump & strainer. 8mm hose's & clamps ($12). 100cm of 6mm high pressure fuel hose's & clamps. 8mm outlet & inlet high pressure fuel filter ($12). fuel injector cleaning tool ($7), A spray can of carby/throttle body cleaning fluid ($15). So I replaced a new RR-3 Spec fuel pump & 8mm hose's & clamps, new fuel filter & strainer, also had to clean the sludge from the fuel tank , removed all 6mm fuel hoses & clamps, disconnected the fuel rail & fuel injectors cleaning fuel & regulator with spray can of Carb/throttle body cleaner, then using injector cleaning tool with spray can of carb/throttle body cleaner reverse flush (front to back) clean all injectors first & then flush injectors (back to front) reassemble injectors & rail to manifold. Then replace all tank to fuel rail & regulator to tank 6mm high pressure hose's & clamps. For me? This fixed all my performance defects & it being the same set up as my RR-3 , this at least can give you a good place to start. As i got my RR-3 back to it's 100% performance for less than $50, where the dealer's service shop said it's this & that, which will cost me $1750 to get the RR-3 back working 100%. All i can say is take your time & if your stuck? just go on line & look it up & you will always find how to do it . C.Webb