F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 Honda F4i Project

Old 03-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2012, 11:58 PM

Think you can post close up pics of the headlight set up? i want to see how you made the projectors work, im debaiting doing it myself. **** looks sick as hell.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:02 AM

Thanks! I had a little setback on the projectors.I'll unfortunately have to trim the stock reflectors on the f4i since with the projectors in there it just barely buts up against the glass lens of the headlight but makes it impossible to close it comfortably and even if i managed to squeeze it together forcefully I wouldnt be able to adjust the beams.

I'm terrible at taking mid-progress pictures, usually I get in the zone and if I snap out of it my whole rhythm is gone. I'll try to get some closer up pictures when I work on the headlight sometime this week.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:05 AM

That be awsome, im debaiting eather doing it similar to you, OR doing something like the 2010 r1 has, and fiber glassing around it.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by F4I_Bob
That be awsome, im debaiting eather doing it similar to you, OR doing something like the 2010 r1 has, and fiber glassing around it.
yeah those are really nice, I dig the no lens but I don't know how that would look on an f4i considering the fairing doesnt separate it, also I don't feel like weatherproofing, but it should be simple enough to make with a vac former if i had my old one I might try it, haha.

One thing I am doing is painting the inner reflector spacer thing (that sandwiches between the back of the headlight housing, that screws into the clear lens of the f4i headlight) to match the color of the bike, kind of like the headlights on a 360 modena

Old 03-18-2012, 12:15 AM

I do need to see how this come outs.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:22 AM

Me too

Old 03-18-2012, 06:37 PM

So heres a mini write up on the projectors for the headlights showing how they fit the housing, and what I trimmed.

First up what the projector looks like.

from left to right, projector complete, H7 index ring, lockwasher, locknut

Heres the inside of the shroud, keep in mind this is after I took it apart and painted everything with high temp flat paint, as it was all chrome causing glare.

This is the back of the projector apart in detail, you can see the solenoid mounted on the shield bracket, with the inner workings of the solenoid and shield taken apart

Better detail of the complete solenoid and cut off shield assembly

Cutoff shield up, blocks out the light, this is the regular low beams

Power applied to the solenoid via new highbeam switch will cause the solenoid to magnetize, pulling down the cutoff shield, activating the hidden light functioning as the high beams.

This is where I had to trim the stock reflectors, this is the stock height

posts trimmed to allow the projector to sit further back and not hit the front lens. This allows for beam adjustments via factory screws

This is how much material I removed from the reflector mount posts, there are 3 posts per reflector, so this is material removed from 1 reflector. Same amount of material removed from each post.

This is how the projector is bolted to the reflector.

Here's the middle headlight shroud that currently in green primer that I will paint red to match the bodywork.

Hope this helps anyone wondering how to do this, it's relatively straightforward.

Last edited by Aleksander; 03-18-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Good stuff! I like the switch placement idea. I want to make a small addition similar to that on my Kawasaki for switches and my GI Pro gear indicator. I will need a switch for lights soon, and then probably some stuff for drag racing in the future. I like the idea of getting like a carbon fiber plate and mounting it up.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:13 PM

Thanks! Glad you like it and i'll try and post as much as I can when I'm building it so others can see. I ordered all the parts off ebay from china, but everything is taking forever to get here, should be soon since i ordered it almost 3 weeks ago, but thats what you get when you only spend ~$10 for everything.

Heres a picture of the projectors mounted up in the reflectors ready to be put back in. Added some red braid to the high beam solenoid leads to prettify it a little bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Honda F4i Project