F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 F4i won't start-fuel pump issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

did you check your fuses?

san diego, alright then.
if you don't get this figured out, i can help you. i'm in lake elsinore, right up the 15. i have a shop in south orange county also. if you have a truck or trailer, we can work a time to bring it up here and mess with it. if not, we can figure something out.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I now have the problem isolated to the second picture, the brown line with green bands is supposed to be the output but isn't getting anything, when I plug in the battery to that output it works but none of the supposed inputs are getting anything and tracing the wires under everything is a pain (especially without a functional diagram), anyone know which wires are supposed to receive input voltages and where they come from by any chance?

Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM

And I have checked all the fuses, those aren't the problem (wish it was that simple). Unless, of course, there's a fuse hidden somewhere that isn't the main fuse or in the fuse box affecting this the service manual neglected to mention.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:07 PM

that pretty much it. main, box, and one on the side of the box.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:13 PM

i'm assuming that you found power on both sides of each fuse...not just a visual. right?

Old 11-03-2011, 04:12 PM

Yeah I switched out most of the fuses so those aren't the problem.. Now here's something else I can't explain. Trying to figure out where the wiring problem is, I jumped from the battery to the output of the fuel cut relay, turned on just fine, then I reconnected the relay and jumped to the input brown wire (looks like both black wires are ground), I heard a click and got a voltage of 3 V at the fuel pump which did not turn on, then switched out the relays and got the same problem.. Is that remotely normal? Still not getting a voltage from the battery to the input though so I had to jump to find that out.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:49 PM

I just realized, I'm a retard, after realizing that the pump isn't getting anything and only the reserve sensor is, I didn't go back and recheck all the sensors (kickstand, tilt one, etc), its probably just one of those.. We'll find out whenever its not raining!

Old 11-08-2011, 04:45 PM

Okay the skies cleared up so I can finally work on my bike (which is of course stuck outdoors, yay being a college student), and started this time playing with the ECM (referencing page 5-86 of the manual) where it says to measure the voltage between the ECM test harness connector B6 terminal and ground (B6 being the pink wire with green stripes and green dots attaching to the sixth upper position of the right (gray) side of the ECM) and.. I don't know what the results are telling me, so I'm wondering if someone can tell me how this wire is supposed to behave with a functional bike. With the key in the off position, its not measuring a voltage, when the key is turned it jumps up to about .18 volts, and then when it is turned off it briefly spikes to about 2 V before returning to zero. If not, this is a wiring issue, if so looks like it'll be the bank angle sensor/relay.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 PM

Turns out, it was a grounding issue from a ground that was next to the right blinker (but came from elsewhere.. got dark before I could trace it. All I know is when I plug it into the negative end of the battery everything works).. Who woulda thunk it. Really should have investigated the headlight part of the issue a long time ago and tested all the wires up front rather than assuming it was a problem getting power to the fuel line. Oh well.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:22 PM

Congrats on finding your electrical gremlin, I'm hoping mine is going to be that simple. I'm going to tear into her tonight after work and see what's going on, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be a short or a ground issue, especially since I just had my front end worked on at a shop and that seems to be where the problem is.

Quick Reply: 2001 F4i won't start-fuel pump issues?