CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   2001 F4i won't start-fuel pump issues? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/2001-f4i-wont-start-fuel-pump-issues-131898/)

thebuch 10-27-2011 04:13 PM

2001 F4i won't start-fuel pump issues?

Hey everyone, I'm Tyler, new poster here, anyway..

A couple weeks ago I was putting gas in my 2001 F4i, and, because I hadn't slept in a long while, absent mindedly forgot to switch the key to "off" for a second. I quickly caught the mistake, turned the bike off, then continued refueling, but when I went to turn it back on, the headlights did not turn on and the fuel pump did not make the whining noise meaning that it turned on, and obviously without the fuel pump the bike won't start... Anyway, I went to the service manual and it said that if the fuel pump is receiving a voltage yet not turning on, to replace the fuel pump. The terminal for the fuel pump was receiving 10.5 V, so nothing in the bike (such as fuses and kickstand or tip over sensors) is causing the fuel pump to not turn on, so I replaced the fuel pump with one bought of a reputable motorcycle shop off ebay and.. the new assembly didn't work either, leading me to believe the problem may not be the fuel pump. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Any help is much appreciated!

Also might be worth noting that I don't have the pump in the fuel tank when I'm trying to get it turn on, does it need to be surrounded in gasoline to make the whining sound meaning its turning on?

74demon 10-27-2011 04:33 PM

whats your battery voltage? sounds like your battery is dead or bad cable connections. does your starter turn the bike over?

thebuch 10-27-2011 05:04 PM

Battery voltage is 12.22V, and the starter will turn it over but obviously without fuel being pumped in it doesn't actually do me any good. Plus, the turn signals/rear light/everything work, and there's power to the speedometer and everything, so its just the fuel pump and headlights.

dveldtf4i 10-27-2011 06:15 PM

dumb question, but have you checked your kill switch? Fuel pump doesn't prime when the kill switch is flipped, but everything else will turn on. Of course, I don't think the starter will run if the kill switch is flipped either, so probably not that. Check fuses and all those other goodies?

thebuch 10-27-2011 08:38 PM

Yeah I did, today I narrowed it down to the outside positive prong that connects to the fuel pump isn't receiving voltage.. the middle one and ground are both fine, so when I plugged in the larger wires that connected to the voltmeter it touched both of them and appeared to have a voltage. Could this be a problem with the fuel relay sensor and all that, just causing one of the two terminals to not receive power? When I plugged the three terminals on the fuel pump into the battery it worked fine.

dgk600f4i 10-31-2011 11:25 PM

This might sound stupid but i had a simiar problem. My pump wouldnt prime and headlight would not come on. Its in your wiring i would un hook everything in the front except the tip over sensor and see what happens. Mine would run with everything unhooked then when i plugged everthing back in it wouldnt start so i narrowed it down to when i plugged the headlight in the fuel pump would no longer turn on so after beating myself up for about a week tryin to figure it out i found a bad ground in the plug where the head light harness plugs into the main. that might not be exactly where yours is but id check all the grounds. The headlight grounds to the frame on the left side underneath the tank thats the easiest place to start. hope this helps keep us updated.

thebuch 11-02-2011 11:24 AM

Well I'll figure the problem out today most likely when the new fuel relay sensors or whatever they're called come today, its either gonna be that not providing a voltage to just one of the sides or a bad wire. I hope. Fingers are crossed

thebuch 11-03-2011 12:09 PM

Now I have a simple wiring question because all the service manuals I've downloaded have been missing section 21 or whichever section the wiring diagram is supposed to be, of the two relay pump sensor things under the rear cowl one of them is receiving voltage (well, three of the four terminals are, assuming the fourth terminal is ground) and I'm assuming that is the giving power to the working side of the fuel pump while the other one is not receiving any power.. So is my assumption correct that each of the sensors goes to one of the inputs to the fuel pump? The confusing part is that both wire inputs are brown and the outputs from the sensors are red on one and brown on the other so I assumed they're from the same one..

74demon 11-03-2011 12:42 PM

don't assume anything with electrical. electrical tracing is really simple, just takes patience and a good understanding of how things work. it all boils down to power and grounds. one wrong assumption, and the entire logic process of tracing things is thrown off.

the fuel pump has two wires. the third one is for the reserve sensor.
do the wires in question have a color stripe on them? they cant all be the same color.

did you look at all the connectors?
pump and headlight at the same time...? not the pump causing this. seems that the tracing got off a while back. i suggest starting over from the beginning, with a diagram, and going step by step. maybe get some help in person. electrical tracing over the internet is difficult to do. we are limited to only the information we are given. bad info in gets bad info out. if you mention where you are at, maybe someone close would be willing to give you a hand. i will, if you are in southern California.

thebuch 11-03-2011 01:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay hopefully this helps explain what I mean, I guess the fuel pump isn't getting power but the sensor is.. Glad I asked! But yeah, if anyone has a functional wiring diagram I'd love it if you could email it to tylerbuchanan4444@pointloma.edu, as I said its been missing from all the service manuals I've downloaded and I've downloaded like four of them. And for what its worth, I'm in San Diego but hopefully I'll be able to figure this out (probably just need the wiring diagram).