F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 F4I won't start...

Old 12-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 F4I won't start...

Hey everyone,

I bought my motorcycle this last may and the snow is flying up here so it's well time to put it up for the winter. I read the owner's manual about what they recommend for winterizing it and started to follow those instructions. So I filled the gas tank and brought it home. Took out the battery (and the computer to make getting at the battery easier), then the manual said to pull the plugs and play oil into the cylinders to keep them from rusting so I took the two bolts off the radiator and disconnected the fan wire. And then pulled it down to get at the plugs better. I disconnected the wires going to the plugs... and then I kind of had to leave and to make a the story short ran out of time before I had to head back to school. I put everything back together quickly and just asked my dad to start it every once in a while to lubricate the cylinders. Well after putting it together I tried to start it and it ran for a couple seconds (if that) and then died. Now it won't start at all.

I have three weeks before I'll be back home for semester break, so I'm just trying to figure out what I should check on when I get home. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2001 F4I won't start...

does the FI light come on/blink? that might help you debug.
did you put the plug connectors properly? they are hard to push tight. did you remove any vacuum hoses that you didn't put back? is the battery on a tender? being charged? did you put oil in the cylinders or flood the engine?

Old 12-01-2008, 02:59 PM

If it started for a second then died, fouled the plugs pouring oil straight into the cylinders, maybe

Old 12-01-2008, 07:56 PM

I didn't actually get oil into the cylinders because I ended up not having time to finish. A buddy of mine mentioned that I could of fouled the plugs, but I can't look until I go back to the parent's house Dec. 18.

I don't recall if the FI light came on or blinked. I'm pretty sure I saw it on at some point, but I don't remember if it blinked or not. I can have my dad check that for me tonight or tomorrow. I am like 99% sure that the connectors are all on tight and in the right spots. The battery was fully charged when it was put back in, but it's probably a little down from trying to start it and isn't hooked up to a tender or charger at the moment. And again... no oil got into the cylinders.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you left a plug disconneted, IE...IAC sensor, MAP sensor, maybe even the temp sensor on the radiator though Im not sure it has to be plugged in to run. check all your connectors and look for that FI light. If the bike will start and the FI light comes on then there is an issue the the FI circuit which usually is one of these sensors.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:38 PM

Hey everyone,

It's been a while, but I just got home from college for the semester break and went out and started looking at the bike. I made sure I had everything connected and tried to start it. It cranks just fine but it doesn't start at all. The FI light doesn't blink or anything either. I did manage to get the spark plugs out and they have quite of a bit of black built up on them. So are these plugs bad (fouled?) and do I need to get new ones? I've never seen fouled up plugs before so I'm not sure what they would look at. Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:22 PM

Fouled plugs would make it not start. A fouled plug will look black and have dark back oil char on it. Replacement OEM plugs can run any where from 9.99 to 30.00 a piece for the NGK IR plugs.

You can have them sand blasted around the tips to clean them up. I did and that fixed my problem.