CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   2001 f4i valve adjustment (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/2001-f4i-valve-adjustment-152934/)

Liljmartini 11-01-2014 04:39 PM

2001 f4i valve adjustment

Hey guys, this winter me and my buddy are going to adjust my valves and this might be a stupid question but is the valve cover gasket same thing as a head gasket on bikes. Or are they different.

sjona2011 11-01-2014 05:49 PM

completely different, head gasket seals where the cylinder head is bolted to the jugs/block
valve cover gasket does just that, seals the valve cover where its attached to the cylinder head. and if you're wondering, yes its ok to reuse the valve cover gasket as long as its completely intact(no tears, cuts, etc)

Conrice 11-01-2014 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by sjona2011 (Post 1282978)
completely different, head gasket seals where the cylinder head is bolted to the jugs/block
valve cover gasket does just that, seals the valve cover where its attached to the cylinder head. and if you're wondering, yes its ok to reuse the valve cover gasket as long as its completely intact(no tears, cuts, etc)

Yup, and hi-temp silicone the half moon parts of the valve cover gasket.

Job of the valve cover gasket: keep oil inside the head (from the cams slopping it around) and to keep water and dirt out.

Job of head gasket: mate the head and top case together so that the compression of the pistons is possible and keep water out of combustion chamber/oil out of water jackets. The tolerances are absolutely critical.

Liljmartini 11-02-2014 05:56 PM

Okay great guys. Thank you all very much. Hopefully this adjustment will fix my problem.

IDoDirt 11-06-2014 10:05 PM

OK, you've peaked my curiosity... what problem is it that you're thinking that the valve adjustment is going to correct? I'm not questioning your judgment, just wanting to understand.

Liljmartini 11-07-2014 08:00 PM

Well I don't knew when the last time the valves have been checked on the bike, so I'm thinking it's time to check them. It has 46k miles. And. I'm hearing kinda a knock noise around 5k rpm and I'm not sure if.its.the CCT or not. So I looked it up and they said it could be the valves. So while the bikes apart I'm planning on changing the plugs and change the CCT anyways.

Liljmartini 11-08-2014 04:37 PM

Okay guys, so before I take the bike apart for a valve adjustment I wanna know what you guys would think my problem is. When I. Start my bike up I hear a rattle noise and then it goes away. After its warm. But around 5k it comes back. I thought it was valves but my buddy doesn't thinks it's the valves, either way we're gonna check them. What do you guys think.

sjona2011 11-08-2014 06:28 PM

is it more of a rattle/knock, or a ticking sound?
if its the rattle that you say it is, then its probably the CCT
but if you're gonna be changing the CCT anyway, might as well check the valves while you're in there, then you'll know for sure that they are good.

Liljmartini 11-10-2014 06:20 PM

Yeah I'd say it is more of a rattle/ knock. I just ordered a manual CCT cause it has the automatic one. And yeah while it's all apart were gonna check the valves.

boredandstroked 11-11-2014 11:42 AM

Its probably the cctl, but at 46k the valves are badly needed if never done before.