CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   2001 F4i Not Starting (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/2001-f4i-not-starting-96752/)

AllDayJae 07-07-2009 07:53 AM

2001 F4i Not Starting

About a week ago I was riding my bike for an hour and parked it at a buddy's place where I chilled for about 2 hours. When I attempted to leave the bike would not start, the control gauge had the two turn signal lights lit, the high-beam light lit, and the solid red light lit (not FI). So I pushed the bike over to my dad's place to keep it in his drive way.

I don't have a volt-meter but have looked over the bike and all fuses are good and the wiring looks good. I goofed around with some of the harnesses and was able to get the high-beam light unlit on the gauge, now when I turn the key I just get the two turn signal lights lit and the solid red light, the bike does not prime when I flip the kill switch but does when I press the start button, and it does not attempt to turn over.

Does anyone have any ideas??

mike and ikes 07-07-2009 06:29 PM

Have you checked the battery? First things first. Check all connections, make sure they are tight. Then check the charge. Many, many problems are fixed by this simple check.

AllDayJae 07-09-2009 08:06 AM

Hmmm

I just bought the battery but will check it today. If it doesn't seem like that is the problem I am gonna have to take it in to get checked...

Regardless I will keep ya posted.... Thanks!

teko1020 07-09-2009 08:13 AM

Go out to Sears and buy a voltmeter. They arent that expensive and are worth the money. Check the battery to see if its fully charged, should be around 13v with the bike off or in the on position but not started. If not you may want to go get a trickle charger at Auto Zone or something and let the battery charge over night then seen if she starts up. If she does stick the meter back on and rev her to about 2500-3000 RPM and you should get around 14.5v. If not then you might have a more serious problem like your charging system.

R Dub 07-09-2009 10:37 AM

Let me know if you find anything out cause it sounds like my bike is doing the exact same thing. I bought a new kill switching thinking that was the problem cause when I wiggled the harness it would prime but turned out it was not. And I'll let you know what I find out with mine.

ImmaSquashYou 07-09-2009 02:36 PM

most likely its the battery..charge the battery and see if it will start. If it will start, it most likely means something is wrong with the stator and rotor and needs to be replaced. You can check this buy using a volt meter. The battery itself should read somewhere around 12-13 volts when idling. When revving the engine above 3k..should read around 14.9. If there is no change in the voltage reading from idling to revving, there is something wrong with the charging system. If it still doesn't prime then good luck..

Beefcake 07-09-2009 02:48 PM

I have to ask... Was the bike in gear with the kick stand down?

AllDayJae 07-10-2009 09:28 AM

Mystery still ongoing

So.. I broke down and hauled it to the shop the other day and they are stumped :|

They said my battery is good, just needed recharged since I was trying to start it numerous times. The problem is the fuel pump is not getting power and the have been troubleshooting via the manual. Steps before the ECM, thank GOD, are giving them problems. So they are going to call Honda.

I will keep you posted...

R Dub 07-10-2009 09:59 AM

I don't know if this will do you much good now that your bike is at the shop but take a look at this thread and see if it helps. This was the issue on my bike as well: https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...uel+Pump+Prime

AllDayJae 07-10-2009 05:20 PM

Some Honda insight

The bike shop said Honda called and told them it is most likely a shorted wire in the harness. Ill keep ya posted...
Hope they don't try to charge me for bunk hours.

I called the shop and asked for an update... They said they have to try the steps Honda gave them and then report back the findings. A girl that works there has the same bike but is on vacation till thursday, FIGURES.
They did give an update and said the ECM is getting power but the fuel pump is not receiving power from it. Could the relays cause this, or the rear sub-harness?