F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 f4i no spark *fixed*

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 05:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2001 f4i no spark *fixed*

Hey guys please bump this thread, im making this thread because i searched so much and found basically nothing but half completed threads on this problem and no follow ups on how they fixed it. ill start by explaining the symptoms and what lead up to it. anytime i was riding at the lot if i dropped my bike a certain way it would start running like **** like it was misfiring on all cylinders or like it had too much fuel and it kept getting worse and better until it wouldnt start at all, before it stopped running it had very heavy fumes some black smoke and no power at all. some things i found on the internet that were common was the fpr (fuel pressure regulator) its on the left side of the bike by the fuel rail, to check this you pull the vacuum line (or any vacuum line really) and if theres gas in it you need a new one. mine was dry so i moved onto checking my plugs and they were fine (still changed them). then i checked for spark and had none so i checked the coils for power and i had 12v but no ground pulse coming from the ecu. next i check my injectors and i had the same symptom. my fuel pump primed by the way and on a honda if the fuel pump primes all of your grounds are good but i still checked them all and cleaned all my connections including the battery. next i checked the ohms of the camshaft sensor which is located on the front left of the motor by the headers for factory specs and it was good but i still changed it out. double checked the bypass for my kickstand sensor, tilt sensor and clutch sensor were good. next i checked the pink wire coming from the ignition key and at the ecu for 9v (anti theft) and i was good there. i was starting to convince myself it was the ecu until i thought about how the only thing not working was electronics that use a pulse from the computer so through some googling i found the bike has a crankshaft sensor/ignition pulser on the clutch basket side and after 20+ hours of diagnosing over 5 days i found that was my problem. if you have any thing to add to this thread that i missed or any questions or similar problems please feel free to add to the thread, the newest thread i can find on this was from like 2016 just trying to help the community..

Old 11-14-2018, 02:24 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Very few people posts the results of diag, thanks.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goonystunts
i found the bike has a crankshaft sensor/ignition pulser on the clutch basket side and after 20+ hours of diagnosing over 5 days i found that was my problem...
OK, so after you got the idea that the crank sensor may be involved, how did you verify that that was indeed the issue?