F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 F4i issue with smelling fuel on start up

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 F4i issue with smelling fuel on start up

So guys I have an 01 f4i. I have put new plugs in it, a new fpr, new battery. I can turn the motor over all day and it won't start and if it does it takes like 2 or 3 hours to finally get it to crank and a bunch of smoke comes out with it. I open the throttle wide open and it sounds like it wants to crank up but it never does. It smells like it's getting too much fuel into the cylinders. So I did some research and it pointed to a bad fpr but my vacuum line was dry but I replaced it anyway. So the fuel pump primes, I turn the motor over and it won't fire up. I open the throttle all the way up and it wants to fire up but it never does and I Start to smell fuel after about the 3rd and 4th try. I have checked the injectors and I see that they are flowing but they stop when I turn the bike over. So it has the symptoms I'm thinking of a flooded engine but Im not sure how it can be flooded if there is no fuel in my fpr vacuum line and it's got a new fpr and the injectors aren't sticking it doesn't make any sense. Anyone have this problem before.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:59 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Test and/or swap ignition coils.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:18 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Remove and clean plugs. Check all for sparking. No throttle on start up.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:16 PM

I will check,, I know I'm getting spark, I'm thinking it's a back pressure issue because when I got the bike it came straight piped. I have a new fpr, the fuel pump is good, fuel pressure is good, plugs are good, coils send spark, compression is good. I think it's the lack of back pressure would that cause a 600 to have to wot on start up.?

Old 03-24-2018, 02:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I got my 01, it had a can stuffed on the end of the collectors (no mid pipe) that was about 5 inches long and no baffling in it. LOUD as hell. but absolutely no starting issues. It would fire up after rolling once or twice and idle fine. So I dont believe the exhaust would cause that issue. No chance your timing chain skipped or anything?

Did it run before and just started doing this? Or did you pick it up in this condition?

Old 03-31-2018, 02:09 AM

It just started doing it recently,when I got the bike it was straight piped and ran fine. But it started doing this, and it's sending alot of fuel through the tail pipe. But to crank it I have to stuff a rag in the tail pipe so it has enough back pressure to crank on the initial start up for the day once the motor is warm it's good to go for the rest of the day while it's warm I just can't let the motor get cold again.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:02 PM

So I bought a d and d slip on which has back pressure and baffles unlike the straight pipe and the bike still just turns out without wanting to actually fire up. I still have to stuff a rag in it and hold the throttle wide open to try and crank it. I don't understand what the issue is. I put the rag in it, hold the throttle wide open, I turn the key on start it turn it off start it turn it on then it fires up, like with each time I turn the key on and off it gets closer to starting up, but while it's doing it you can just smell and see fuel out of the tail pipe But after the bike gets warm it the extra fuel goes away and runs normally and doesn't act like it's running too rich

Old 06-14-2019, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ghosty
So I bought a d and d slip on which has back pressure and baffles unlike the straight pipe and the bike still just turns out without wanting to actually fire up. I still have to stuff a rag in it and hold the throttle wide open to try and crank it. I don't understand what the issue is. I put the rag in it, hold the throttle wide open, I turn the key on start it turn it off start it turn it on then it fires up, like with each time I turn the key on and off it gets closer to starting up, but while it's doing it you can just smell and see fuel out of the tail pipe But after the bike gets warm it the extra fuel goes away and runs normally and doesn't act like it's running too rich

Same issue I’m having hopefully I can get it figured out

Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ECU supplies more fuel at startup as the engine is cold and the autochoke ensures enough air is supplied that's why revs shoot up to 3k at startup.
It could be a vaccum leak somewhere. Check your vaccum hoses for any cracks or lose fitting. Is your air filter clean? Is it badly choked or something? I'd suggest definitely check vaccum tubing. If you have an autoluber which uses engine vaccum then check that as well. In my case scottoiler v system had a leak where it connected to the throttle body tubes leading to exact same symptoms. of course bad spark plugs will lead to same problems but often times bad sparkplugs are a symptoms not the cause. Prolonged/frequent fouling due to startup issues will make them inefficient.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:38 PM

It’s the fpr I had the same issue I bought the bike cheap cause it was letting fuel into the cylinders. Process of elimination check the fuel pump to see if it’s pouring out then pull the fuel rail off with the injectors and see if one stays pouring while the rest stop. I pulled the fpr off one of my bikes put it on and it worked fine so I ordered one

Quick Reply: 2001 F4i issue with smelling fuel on start up