F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 CBR F4i - Won't Start (Fuel Pump Issue?) - Please Help

Old 05-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Hmm... What alarm?

I have a Spy 5000m, hooked everything up and it all worked. jondevos has a Spy 5000m alarm, hooked everything up just like I did and the remote start won't work. But the bike still starts.

How'd he do the dry run on the wires? Could be a bad splice or cut in the wires. The wire I used that enabled the remote start runs straight from the ignition & kill switch to the engine stop relay. If that wire is open, the pump won't prime.
It is the Spy5000m, I'll run that theory by him, thank-you.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell
I would try bypassing the Engine Stop and the Fuel Pump relays under the tail towards the right side of the bike.

Also, check ALL of the fuses in the fuse box INCLUDING the small 20A fuse holder hanging on the side.

Does pressing the starter button with the red switch on still crank the bike? (Do you still hear the starting noise).

If none, it is possible that while messing with the wiring behind the dash, the mechanic friend messed up the ignition. I don't recall the specifics but something in the ignition fries bypassing it is attempted. Afterwards the bike acts normal but the fuel pump won't prime.

-Duo
I believe he checked the relays but I'm not sure about the fuse box. I'll ask him about that and run by the possible ignition frying. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 AM

ok the last 3 f4i's i helped that had this problem ended up being the main headlight harness connector. when you turn the key on is the highbeam indicator staying on? thats a dead giveaway for this problem. take the plug apart and look at the connectors. make sure none of them look loose or like mine....one was starting to push out of the plug. also alot of people look strait to the BAS. on an f4i it doesn't have to be "reset" just turned back upright. in fact to test it you just take the 2 screws out of the BAS and turn the key on while holding it in your hand and tilt it back and forth and you should hear your engine kill relay click on and off. just for the others who find this thread.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same kind of issue sorta. i dont have an alarm on mine but i did have the problem with the bike not starting and fuel pump not primeing. wat mine ended up being was the ground in the back of the headlight light harness on the clutch side of the bike. my ground had a lot of crap/corrosion on it and wasnt getting a good connection. like james_hale2 said check all the plug connections and make sure they are getting a good connection. i cleaned mine then plugged it back together and it has been good ever since..hope this helps!..good luck

Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I believe we're going to be able to work on it tomorrow so I will run all these ideas by him and hopefully one of them will work. I'll keep everyone updated but if you have any more ideas, please post them, the more ideas the better chance we have of solving the problem.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by IIRyan
Thanks for the advice guys. I believe we're going to be able to work on it tomorrow so I will run all these ideas by him and hopefully one of them will work. I'll keep everyone updated but if you have any more ideas, please post them, the more ideas the better chance we have of solving the problem.
If he hasn't checked the fuses yet like you said, I'm almost positive that's the issue...although I don't know why he would mess with wiring prior to checking the fuses.

Make sure he checks the yellow 20A fuse coming off the side of the fusebox.

-Duo

Old 05-05-2010, 04:07 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Sounds like the same problem my F4i has been having since the day I bought it. It is the connection of the front harness to the main harness by the left ram air intake. Take that connection part make sure is clean and wiggles those wire and my bet is it will fire right up

Old 05-13-2010, 07:51 PM

So just to put a conclusion on this thread...The problem was found! Apparently a wire was grounding out somewhere between the pump and the rest of the system. It was as simple as fixing that and my tiger has it's growl back! Thanks to everyone who offered advice!

Old 05-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Registered Users

bad starter switch?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:31 AM

My 2005 is doing the same thing, it was intermittently not starting with all of the dash lights on. Than it would start and run,and today it shut down while riding just as both blinkers lit u It would run if I held in the starter switch. Please help I do not want to spend $400 on a new starter just to find out it is some thing else.

Also, I ave not been able to test the voltage at the connection yet but if you are getting voltage than how could it be the relay?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 CBR F4i - Won't Start (Fuel Pump Issue?) - Please Help