CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   2001 CBR 600 F4i Ticking after Manual CCT install!?!?! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/2001-cbr-600-f4i-ticking-after-manual-cct-install-131623/)

XxCBR_SILVERxX 10-15-2011 10:17 PM

2001 CBR 600 F4i Ticking after Manual CCT install!?!?!

Hey Guys,

Thought I would give you guys a challenge here! I am stumped myself. I have a 2001 CBR 600 F4i as stated in the description. The bike has about 8,000 miles on it. I have had it for about 6 months, I had the Auto CCTL Changed due to excessive noise at around 4,500 rpm. I had it changed at a shop of course, It was a hard decision to do that. I normally do all my work and it seems as if it is turning around to bite me in the A##! When I got it back after the work had been the noise was gone. After driving it for a few days I noticed a slight tick that had developed, so I took it back to them to see what the deal was. The first time I took it back up there I got nothing from them. They were convinced that they couldn't hear anything. I took it back home and continued to ride it for a few more days the tick progressively got louder so I decided to take another trip back up there. To my surprise they actually heard it this time. Don't know how they didn't here it the last time, I could hear it plane as day. Anyway, They proceeded to tell me that it was normal and I had nothing to worry about. With that in mind I left and immediately called the next Honda mechanic that I could find. They informed me that the mechanic may have put the manual CCT on too tight causing the rubber coating on the tensioner arm to get chewed off by the chain and drop down in to my engine. They were telling me that the ticking was most likely the rubber slowly clogging my engine up and starving it of the vital oil that it needs. The bike did not have the ticking noise before the Manual CCT so I am completely stumped! Could I need a valve adjustment? or could he have possibly put the tensioner on too tight? < I don't think it is too tight though if that were the case the bike would have blown up by now as I have put about 500+ miles on it since the Manual CCT. With that being said could the Manual CCT being slightly loose cause this noise? What do you guys think? :icon_denk:

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks guys,
Darrell

Kevwa451 10-16-2011 07:53 AM

If you bought an APE manual tensioner there is no rubber on any part of it so it wouldn't be that. I was gonna say you're just hearing the valves tick more than normal. Maybe getting used to the bike and picking out new sounds but since you said it got louder that's probably not it. The valves will tick slightly even if they're adjusted properly so that would be normal.

Incompatible 10-16-2011 11:37 AM

Maybe with the cctl noise gone you're hearing sounds that have always been there but covered up. Another possibility is that the manual tensioner has introduced it's own new sound or a combo these two. New sounds would get your attention quickly.

HenryM 10-16-2011 03:14 PM

Shop mechanics sometimes suck so badly it makes your ass hurt. All they want is your dosh. All they want is your bike in their workshop, thinking of what spurious amount they can fleece you for when they've finished phucking your engine up after their best efforts.
Take back control. Do it yourself.
Comments above are relevant but there are factors that you need to check for your self.
Get the rocker cover off and check the valve clearances. Synch the carbs too. CBRs can be bitches if everything is not right. If everything checks out and the ticking still persists, just ride. You've nothing to worry about.

XxCBR_SILVERxX 10-16-2011 05:06 PM

Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments! I am going to be changing the spark plugs tomorrow and while I am in there I will take the Rocker cover off and check the valve clearances out for tolerance issues. It has throttle bodies though So I will try and get a tool to sync those if possible. As far as the noise being there while the Auto cctl was on there, I'm pretty sure that it wasn't could've been though it just got louder with the manual cctl on there. Let me just say this though!!!! This forum is a HELL of a lot better that fireblades.org! :icon_woot:

XxCBR_SILVERxX 10-16-2011 05:06 PM

I will keep you guys informed!

99NaSvT 10-16-2011 05:54 PM

Like stated above the more I ride my bike the more I notice things

XxCBR_SILVERxX 10-23-2011 10:48 PM

So here is the update for you guys... The update comes with a pretty good question. Got all of the valve clearences checked today. All of them were within the specified tolerance except for one.... Honda repair manual calls for < .008in ± .001in > Intake side, I got .006in on one of the Intake valves on number 4. I'm new to these shim under bucket setups so I am not sure if that one thousandth of an inch would make a big difference. I assume that it would or the guys that designed the engine would've put that within the tolerances as well. What do you guys think? is that too tight? could that be causing my tick? I was thinking that it could be keeping the valve open one thousandth of an inch causing a tick.......

Thanks again guys!

stingray 10-24-2011 08:28 AM

my APE ticked at low RPMs when i first installed it because i set it just a bit too loose. when adjusting, aim for that sweet spot which eliminates all the noise without being too tight. i ended up turning the adjusting nut in another 1/4 turn and now it purrs like a honda should.