F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2001 cbr 600 f4i manual cct adjustment

Old 11-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 cbr 600 f4i manual cct adjustment

Hey guys, im wondering about how to adjust my manual CCT, i recently bought this bike, and the previous owner put in a APE manual CCT i believe. because of the red color and the fact its clearly manual. im having ticking / obvious cct noises, and wondering if i can simply just tighten/loosen the bolt until the sound goes away, or do i put the bike in TDC or something? i heard alot of horror storys about skipping teeth , and ****ing up ur motor, so i dont wanna do that, thanks alot

- xifer

Old 11-17-2016, 12:20 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Tighten the adjustment bolt a 1/4 turn and start the bike. Keep doing that until the noise is gone.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Tighten the adjustment bolt a 1/4 turn and start the bike. Keep doing that until the noise is gone.
Do you have any ways you suggest to be able to access the CCT? i dont want to have to remove the tank,throttle bodys, etc, to turn it 1/4 of a turn just to reattach each part just to have to do more adjustment.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:47 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You can try using the service access hole in the side of the frame, or be creative and run a series of extensions and joints from the back (near the rear brake/coolant reservoir) below the frame or a combination thereof

When I was replacing my CCT I tried and failed at both methods, it was more painful than just going at it from the top so I ended up doing it the long way. (PS You don't have to remove the tank just prop it up, same with the throttle body you don't have to disconnect everything) Maybe you won't even need to remove the throttle bodies either if you're just adjusting it but I could be wrong. I have the auto cct but doesn't the manual one come with a locknut that you have to tighten too? that might be tricky.
Personally I'd just do it the long way... I timed myself (for unrelated reasons... was timing how long it takes me to get to the spark plugs) and it takes 15 minutes max to prop tank up, take airbox off and throttle bodies off the rubber boots. Maybe add another 15 if the owner has never taken the throttle bodies off and they are well stuck.

Good luck! hope you can find some easy way

Old 11-18-2016, 11:45 AM

No need to remove throttle bodies etc. Extensions and twisty joints are your friend.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
No need to remove throttle bodies etc. Extensions and twisty joints are your friend.
i ended up being able to tighten it using this, and the sound is still there...? i tightened it probably a half to a full turn aswell.. ill record a new video what it sounds like today

Last edited by xifer; 11-18-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:51 PM

Hopefully the previous owner didn't over tighten and hurt the chain or guide then. I'd probably start pulling stuff to check myself.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:44 PM

if you slowly back off the CCT while the bike idles, you'll hear the noise a loose cam chain makes. it sounds like your engine is full of gravel. cam chains don't really tick. then you can turn it back in until that rattle stops.

this is safe as long as you don't keep going really far once you hear noise. it's VERY hard to jump a cam chain at low rpm.

i recommend this because you might not be hearing cam chain noise, you might be hearing something else....

...and also since you're just blindly turning it in, you don't know how tight it was in the first place, you might have gone too far now...

i find the best tool for manual cct adjustment is a 5/8ths box wrench chopped in half with a hacksaw. the only thing preventing a regular box wrench from working is length.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by rfesu
if you slowly back off the CCT while the bike idles, you'll hear the noise a loose cam chain makes. it sounds like your engine is full of gravel. cam chains don't really tick. then you can turn it back in until that rattle stops.

this is safe as long as you don't keep going really far once you hear noise. it's VERY hard to jump a cam chain at low rpm.

i recommend this because you might not be hearing cam chain noise, you might be hearing something else....

...and also since you're just blindly turning it in, you don't know how tight it was in the first place, you might have gone too far now...

i find the best tool for manual cct adjustment is a 5/8ths box wrench chopped in half with a hacksaw. the only thing preventing a regular box wrench from working is length.
from what ive seen/heard about the noise of a manual cct when its too tight, i dont think that is the case here..

Old 11-20-2016, 10:10 PM

I'm in the same position as you right now. I got all the fairings off and my plan is to go for a ride, adjust the tensioner, ride again until I get it to the point I like.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 cbr 600 f4i manual cct adjustment