F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2-up riding aka Pillion!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2-up riding aka Pillion!

Hello guys,

I am after a bike that will be comfortable for a pillion and driver and sporty at the same time, for the first year I will drive with passenger and after that I will be driving solo mostly, this is going to be a weekend bike, I am not after anything to sporty, but I also don't want to buy any adventure or Sports Cruiser, the F4i seems to tick all the boxes, the banana seat looks comfortable for both passenger and driver, and the riding position is not to aggressive.
I am in doubt between a Street Triple and a CBR600 F4i, but the street triple whilst being more comfortable for the driver as its a naked bike I think the passenger will not enjoy it as much as the F4i, additionally the wind protection on the F4i is also welcome.

Anyways the most important factor here is the passenger comfort (the things we do for the wifes) any one with experiences driving with a passenger, the passenger in question is 110lbs(50Kgs) 5.4'(1.65M).

Thanks

Old 06-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey my girlfriend and I are always riding together on my 2006 f4i. For a sport bike it's as comfortable as it gets. I weigh 180 and she weighs 150. I put 15w oil in the front forks. And put the stiffest settings on the rear spring and the bike does pretty good. What helps the most is training the passenger how to ride. While slowing down she puts her hands on the gas tank so I don't have support her weight.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know anything about the speed triple. I actually just googled pics of mid 2000's ones to jog my memory.

In all honesty, anything that is like a sport bike, isn't going to be the "most comfortable" for a passenger. That said, since you aren't comparing the f4i to say, a goldwing, I'd say the f4i would be your best bet!

I never had any complaints about comfort in 7+ years of riding on my old f4i, but I also was just taking short term flings,or random girls for rides. Not say, going on long trips with a wife or something. And my current girl has no interest in riding, which is fine by me, I prefer no backpack lol

Originally Posted by sbc570sx
While slowing down she puts her hands on the gas tank so I don't have support her weight.
This is crucial! Passengers that don't do this, makes riding unbearable for the "driver"!
One thing to note, if the passenger isn't wearing gloves, if they have RINGS on, they will scratch your tank very easily and DEEP!

Old 06-12-2018, 06:46 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

My buddies are always putting their girlfriends on my bike when we go riding. Banana seat F4i is the best 2up out there. Seat is more comfy and wider, which makes them feel safer. It also isn't quite as high as the split seat pillion, which again makes them feel safe as well as lowering the center of gravity to help with handling.
FYI the front springs are good for a 110lbs rider from the factory. You plus a passenger will make them cry like babies. You'll bottem out the forks every time you brake, so spring and rebound valve upgrades are manditory IMO.