F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

1st time this has happened......

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st time this has happened......

took my bike out for a chilly ride this morning and i get halfway down my road and notice im doing "0mph"........when i was easily doing atleast 45mph and my mileage wouldnt budge. i pulled over, turned off switch, turned the key and did it again. the speedo did its normal things, nothing out of the ordinary but then as i started riding it stayed at 0 again. so i turned around to head home and as i downshifted for a turn, the speedo jumped up to 30, then went through random numbers like it was trying to keep up w/ me going from 30......10.....3......38....ect. it was almost as if it needed to be warmed up because i went back out and by the time i got to where i was going (8mins away) it was working fine and did fine all the way home.

anyone else have this happen to them? i mean, its working fine now so "if it aint broke, dont fix it".......but it seemed as if the guages were cold, lol. i let the bike warm up before i left to about 120 and its in the low 50's this morning.........idk.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1st time this has happened......

Almost sounds like a speed sensor going out. I've heard of a few other people having speed sensors go bad on their F4i's. Not terribly common but heard it a few times. I don't have my service manual with me right now, but I would imagine there is a testing procedure to check it to make sure

Old 10-28-2007, 08:53 AM

nice.....expensive?

thanks for the quick response Jared. i hope all's well at the new casa! hey, now you're closer to MD!!!!!!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you first start up the bike, does the speedo cycle through 0 to 180 mph? And does the needle on the tach go from 0 to red line and back? I think that is what will tell you if there is something wrong or not with the speedo sensor.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:57 AM

EHonda, yep.......it does that. goes through its cycle of normal things.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:13 AM

Hey you said the milage doesn't budge? That's good for resale!!!!!!! lol I don't know about the LCD being cold for it to not work usually if it's cold it will just be really dim or be missing a line on an 8 or something if you know what I mean. I found this link on another great site http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/279024.aspx

Good luck!!

Mike

Old 10-28-2007, 10:35 AM

if it is infact the speed sensor, its about $80-$100 new...u might be able to find a used one cheaper(ebay or somethin)...its in the right crankcase cover...right next to where the clutch cable goes....look for a red cable connector that comes out of the crankcase....its a short cable so its hard to connect/disconnet. (unless you got really tiny fingers)

Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Dirtytoes

if it is infact the speed sensor, its about $80-$100 new...u might be able to find a used one cheaper(ebay or somethin)...its in the right crankcase cover...right next to where the clutch cable goes....look for a red cable connector that comes out of the crankcase....its a short cable so its hard to connect/disconnet. (unless you got really tiny fingers)
+1

Old 10-29-2007, 04:03 AM

WTF!!!!!! its doing it again this morning!!!! everything on the guages works fine on startup (rpm needle/mph cycles through numbers) but when i start moving........nada!

Old 10-29-2007, 03:48 PM

thanks everybody for all you're replies! i just dropped the bike off at a local shop to have it fixed. the guy told me the part was about $50 and it'd be a half hour/hour of labor. so its not going to be terribly expensive. im not the best mechanic so i left it to them. idk how im going to make it a week or two w/o my bike. lots of CBRForum posting and crying at night, lol.

thanks for the input everybody!

Quick Reply: 1st time this has happened......