F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

1st gear riding on clutch only

Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Default 1st gear riding on clutch only

i just really need someone to confirm if my bike is behaving normally.
while in 1st gear with the clutch fully released and no throttle applied the bike moves but it does not move smoothly even in a straight line, it jerks a little. is that how is it suppose to be?

Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 PM

I'm surprised it doesn't stall out without throttle.

What rpms are you idling at when in neutral? Mine idles around 1250 and she will stall in 1st with no throttle... unless she's going downhill

Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 PM
July 2008 ROTM

If you have the bike on the stand, put it in gear and let the clutch out, the rear wheel will spin. Depending on your idle, it might be somewhat jerky. That is normal.

If you are on the bike and idling in first gear, then your idle is probably set WAY too high, because it should typically die with the weight on the bike.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 PM

well i adjust the idle so it idles around 1300. And i dont mean let the clutch fully released in an instant but gradually let the friction zone pull and then release.
i thought all bikes were suppose to be able to do that? But according to kuroshio i dont know?

Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 PM

Like Aken said, under load with weight the bike should stall out without throttle. If it didn't, your idle was way high.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:49 PM

well that didnt seem to be the case when i took the msf course with the 250s. What if i do release the clutch all the way but maybe my cables are adjusted wrong. i will try and fix my idle tomorrow then. So i guess my weight of 140lbs does not make a difference, as the bike should die with me on it.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 PM

Msf bikes are whole other animals. Quite possible they cranked the idle up for riders to find the friction zone easier. Or they cranked the idle up cause that's the only way they'll stay running

I have 2 600s and 1 1000. If I don't give them throttle at a light, despite easing off the clutch, I'll be making the Face of Shame as I hit the starter

Old 04-26-2012, 11:03 PM

thanks. learning something new. man now i feel dumb that i tell all my friends that you can ride the clutch on a bike.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:19 AM
July 2008 ROTM

In my MSF class, we were taught how to use the friction zone, which can pull you slightly on its own, but not taught to let off entirely and use that to move forward. If you were actually taught that, your teacher sucks.

Same experience as Kuro - any bike I've been on has the ability to stall if I screw up (and I have). Don't rely on zero throttle to get you places.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 AM

another thing im wondering is maybe that when i fully release the clutch, it isnt engaged all the way. So i could be burning out my clutch. not really sure how to check this with the cables and all. And im guessing any changes to the front sprocket will not help the bike from stalling as i have -1 front sprocket. so even with that front sprocket then my bike should still stall correct?

Last edited by omg209; 04-27-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st gear riding on clutch only

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.