F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

-1/+2 vs +5

Old 12-31-2009, 12:47 PM
July 2010 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a 50 tooth rear is a +5 over stock right? i think stock is a 45 or 46. but i could be way wrong. do you have any pics of the setup? the main reason i consider it is mainly the looks. if not id just do a -1 +2. also it sounds like theres a lot to consider when it comes to rotating masses and such. im just doing mainly joyriding so i dont know if itll come into play too much to be noticable. but to chime in-wouldnt it be similar making the front smaller and the back a little bit bigger? it might not be as drastic looking of a change but the ratios would be the same-wouldnt they? so would the force be the same on both setups?

Old 12-31-2009, 02:21 PM

No the forces would not be the same. If you are going smaller in the front then that is a smaller rotating mass.

The gear ratio would probably similar though.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:22 PM

I understand the idea of greater rotating mass, although for our purposes a few extra grams aren't drastic, so I don't understand why it's an issue for some people.
Secondly, technically there is no centrifugal force. It's not really a force. For all rotating bodies, the force points towards the center of the object. The "force" that pushes an object towards the outside isn't it's own force, but the change force lagging behind movement, or so I understand. The amount of torque applied I didn't think of, and you're right on that, but isn't that desirable?

Wouldn't the summation of torque be equal if you go either way? So the only applicable down side to street riding would be a larger chain?

Old 12-31-2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fallen3

Wouldn't the summation of torque be equal if you go either way? So the only applicable down side to street riding would be a larger chain?
Well if it creates a larger torque accelerating, that means it needs more force (or power) to get it to accelerate, same with deceleration.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by GDM YO
Well if it creates a larger torque accelerating, that means it needs more force (or power) to get it to accelerate, same with deceleration.
I'm just referring to +5 and -1/+2

Old 12-31-2009, 05:22 PM

Well if you're talking about torque, going smaller in the front, and only +2 bigger in the rear takes much less torque then just +5 in the rear.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:23 PM

Sorry, I was thinking increasing front and rear... don't really know why. You're right. I'm an idiot:P. I even wrote it right, but still thought it wrong..

Old 01-02-2010, 12:24 AM
July 2010 ROTM

even after all this i still cannot decide which to go with, but basically will my rpms be about the same on the highway either way?

Old 01-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes if the math works at the same it will work the same

Old 01-02-2010, 02:31 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys are all missing a basic issue - if you use +5 on the rear YOUR CHAIN WON'T FIT
A bigger chain has more flex, and is an expensive replacement (much more than sprockets, where I live..........and you don't fit a cheap chain to your bikes, do you ?(unless totally broke, in which case where did the new sprockets come from)
GOING SMALLER -1 ON THE FRONT = +3 ON THE REAR
If you go -1front which is almost the same ratio as + 3rear, and go +2 on the rear, chain will probably still fit That'll give you +5 effective change on the rear, as far as I know......
FWIW

Search this Thread