CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   06 Strange noise when starting (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/06-strange-noise-when-starting-153850/)

MrTrimTab 09-16-2015 03:56 PM

06 Strange noise when starting

So I got back from a 7,000 mile road trip in August (not a typo, my poor butt), and the bike was working flawlessly. I did drop it during the trip, scratching the plastics and breaking the right footpeg. I reattached it with zip ties at the time of the accident, and rode home with my feet on the passenger pegs, which was preferable for long distance highway riding anyway. During this trip, I didn't have a single mechanical issue with the bike.

When I brought it home, I took off all the old plastics and I removed the broken footpeg, and ordered new plastics from China and a used footpeg from eBay. The bike was sitting for about three weeks before everything came in. I installed everything on the same day, and tried to start the bike.

The bike turns on fine, all lights work. I can hear the fuel pump priming for about 3 seconds, just like usual. It cranks, and I can feel air pulsing from the exhaust, but no start. The sound of it cranking is a little different than usual, but its hard to describe, maybe higher pitched?

All the fuses check out. Battery has lots of juice (I charged it overnight to be sure) and the tank is full of fresh gas. I changed the spark plugs before I left on the trip (using recommended NGK iridium etc.), so I know that probably isn't the issue.

There are no aftermarket lights, chargers, alarms, power commanders, or anything else electronic. The bike is 100% stock except for the Chinese fairings. I took them off to double check that I didn't damage any wires when I replaced the plastics, but everything looks good.

I'm usually pretty mechanically inclined, but this one really stumps me! Maybe you guys can help me out! What should I start to look at? What other information can I provide? I'd love to have my bike up and running before the end of the season!

Thanks in advance!

-Andrew

boredandstroked 09-16-2015 06:16 PM

Simple things first: engine on/off switch flipped to run? I don't use mine so it always takes me a bit to figure out its been hit when the bike won't start. Have you tried using throttle to start? A weak battery can crank without slowing for 20+seconds without starting the bike, a little throttle and it fires right up. Have you confirmed your getting spark at the plugs? How is the fuel pressure regulator? I've had several friends have problems with a main wiring harness connection that get corroded. Also the start/stop switch I mentioned can have internal soldering failure, happened to my girlfriends bike. Lots of places to start checking.....

MrTrimTab 09-16-2015 06:48 PM

Thanks for the reply! I know that the on/off switch is working, because I can hear the fuel pump priming, when I switch it to "on". I'll check the other things you mentioned and get back to you.

Thanks again.