F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

06 CBRF4 Random sputter

  #1  
Old 04-20-2015, 10:19 PM
NewSense45's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 203
Default 06 CBRF4 Random sputter

Hey everyone!
It's been awhile since I posted but military life has had me busy, and not able to ride much. But I need some guidance. I recently did a sprocket conversion my bike and on a recent ride with some friends we were cruising at around 85 when I noticed my bike kind of struggling. Nothing crazy but I felt it losing power and my RPMs were around 7000-8. This is t the first instance but when I exited the highway and was accelerating in 2nd I almost lost all power. Pulled the clutch, shifted, and she worked fine. Stopped for a minute and ride home feeling the same sputter. Any ideas what to look at? FYI I also installs some demon eyes about a year ago I'm wondering if it's electrical....

Thanks in advance for any help!!
 
  #2  
Old 04-21-2015, 08:05 PM
NewSense45's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 203
Default

Nothing??
 
  #3  
Old 04-22-2015, 09:44 AM
Colombo's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 92
Default

Originally Posted by NewSense45 View Post
Nothing??
I feel your pain, this is the absolute deadest (is that a word?) forum I have ever been a part of with the least replies and help. I've asked tons of questions in my threads and hate that weeks go by and not a single answer, almost tempted to stop wasting my time coming here...


I don't know much about bikes mechanically but I have my fair share of knowledge with cars so I will try my best...

-When did you last change your sparkplugs/tune-up?
--were they OEM plugs?

-Does this happen when you use a certain gas station or with any?

-FI light coming on?

-Fuel pump/injectors ever been replaced?

Not sure that these will help but hopefully they get you on the right path. Good luck
 
  #4  
Old 04-22-2015, 12:22 PM
sjona2011's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Monticello, Indiana
Posts: 777
Default

definitely check/replace spark plugs if they havent been recently. also check your air filter if you're concerned about anything electrical, then measure voltage on your battery while the bike idles, if everythings working as it should you'll have 13.5-14vdc.
also you said you havent riden it much lately, did it have old gas in it when it did this? This year when i first took mine out, overall ran good, but a couple times she'd sputter and the FI light would blink then it'd be fine again. since putting fresh gas in her i havent had an issue with it.
 

Last edited by sjona2011; 04-22-2015 at 01:29 PM.
  #5  
Old 04-25-2015, 01:40 PM
NewSense45's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 203
Default

Originally Posted by Colombo View Post
I feel your pain, this is the absolute deadest (is that a word?) forum I have ever been a part of with the least replies and help. I've asked tons of questions in my threads and hate that weeks go by and not a single answer, almost tempted to stop wasting my time coming here...


I don't know much about bikes mechanically but I have my fair share of knowledge with cars so I will try my best...

-When did you last change your sparkplugs/tune-up?
--were they OEM plugs?

-Does this happen when you use a certain gas station or with any?

-FI light coming on?

-Fuel pump/injectors ever been replaced?

Not sure that these will help but hopefully they get you on the right path. Good luck

Hey, yea it used to be really busy on this site. I been away from it and I am surprised how deserted it seems to be....

Anyway, no no FI light, Injectors/Pump havent been replaced since I have owned it. And it happens regardless of gas... I am starting to think electrical, but I havent hooked up the voltmeter to it.....

Thanks for the response though man! I will hook her up today and let you know what I find out.
 
  #6  
Old 04-25-2015, 01:45 PM
NewSense45's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 203
Default

Originally Posted by sjona2011 View Post
definitely check/replace spark plugs if they havent been recently. also check your air filter if you're concerned about anything electrical, then measure voltage on your battery while the bike idles, if everythings working as it should you'll have 13.5-14vdc.
also you said you havent riden it much lately, did it have old gas in it when it did this? This year when i first took mine out, overall ran good, but a couple times she'd sputter and the FI light would blink then it'd be fine again. since putting fresh gas in her i havent had an issue with it.
Thanks for the advice, what should I have the voltmeter set at when measuring? like it has a bunch of options...(v with wavey line, v with straight/dotted line, mV etc.)

Spark plugs were just changed last summer. I might not have rode much, but I started and rode her at least once a month in between the seasons.
 
  #7  
Old 04-25-2015, 07:23 PM
sjona2011's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Monticello, Indiana
Posts: 777
Default

Originally Posted by NewSense45 View Post
Thanks for the advice, what should I have the voltmeter set at when measuring? like it has a bunch of options...(v with wavey line, v with straight/dotted line, mV etc.)

Spark plugs were just changed last summer. I might not have rode much, but I started and rode her at least once a month in between the seasons.
the meter should be set on the VDC(v with the straight/dotted line) and should read 13.5-14vdc at idle.
 
  #8  
Old 04-26-2015, 07:37 PM
NewSense45's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 203
Default

Originally Posted by sjona2011 View Post
the meter should be set on the VDC(v with the straight/dotted line) and should read 13.5-14vdc at idle.
Thank you! I will check it tomorrow!
 
  #9  
Old 05-02-2015, 11:26 AM
NewSense45's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 203
Default Well...

I hooked her up and finally checked the battery. It's reading just over 14 @ idle. Any other things to check?
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Acespad3
CBR 600F4
20
02-15-2012 02:40 PM
MaCo DaD
General Tech
5
09-07-2008 01:46 AM
flipsidef2
General Tech
3
02-06-2007 08:18 PM
SikofFalln
CBR 600F2
3
05-11-2005 11:31 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 CBRF4 Random sputter


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.