F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

06 CBR 600 F4i; 4K miles, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 CBR 600 F4i; 4K miles, won't start

First post here. I've looked around a little while and saw only slightly similar to what I'm experiencing so thought I'd ask a new question.
I obviously only ride occasionally. I had the bike sort of put up for the winter last year. I started riding regularly (for me) in March. In June, the battery died. Wouldn't even light the display. I went to buy a new battery. Here's where it gets interesting:

1. Bought new battery in June 08
2. Bought my first trickle charge battery tender so the new battery wouldn't crap out like the "old" one that came with the bike.
3. When not riding, have faithfully kept it plugged up.
4. Rode steady through the summer and fall.
5. Rode 2 weeks ago on an all day ride, no problems. Stopped and restarted the bike all day.
6. Two weeks later (yesterday) the bike would barely turn over. Killed the "new battery"

By this time, I had recharged the old battery and put it back in the bike. It drained it down while trying to start. It just wouldn't catch.

Today, I had a friend come over and we removed the battery entirely. We hooked up the cable leads to my Ford F150 truck. The truck battery started to turn it, but not quickly enough.

Started the truck and left it running. Stayed on the starter until we heard a slight catch, hit the throttle slightly, it died.

Waited about 10 mins.

Tried the starter again, after 45 sec to a min, it finally barely sputtered to life and went to idle. We let it run just a bit, hit the gas hard, it died.

Had to wait another 10 mins.

45s - 1 min of hard starting later, it cranked again. We let it run up until the fans kicked in at 221F. Got on the gas and was able to slowly increase the revs pretty high, but as we came back down, it died.

It did not start again, even with the truck battery and the truck running. The lights looked like they were pulling hard, but the more we tried to start it, the dimmer the lights got!

I THINK it's either the fuel injectors or the spark plugs. Sad thing is, I just had the oil changed and everything checked a couple of months ago at 4,000 miles.

The bike has never been in the rain. I only use premium gas (93 octane around here). The only change I've noticed is that our gas stations have gone to mandatory 10% ethanol. I can't find gas without it now. Other than that, there have been no other changes.

Why would an immaculate, barely ridden bike suddenly die after a good long ride two weeks ago? The battery tender has been on it since then.

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Default RE: 06 CBR 600 F4i; 4K miles, won't start

Wait, You removed your bike battery and attempted to start your bike with the battery and an alternator of a running ford F-150?

If your regulator/rectifor and stator wern't fried before... they probably are now. Even though they're both 12 volt batteries, the F4i runs on an about an 8 Amp system. A ford F-150... who knows. 30, 60 maybe?

however,

if the bike was very hard and slow to start with the 500+ cold cranking amps of a ford F-150 battery, and if it failed to stay running, something else may be going on. did you notice any heavy smoke coming from her or a strong fuel smell once you got her started? That would probably mean a totally different issue (other than electrical)

My first guess is a faulty R/R or stator due to the early death of the battery.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:34 PM

I did notice a strong fuel smell once it was going. There was a little smoke out of the exhaust, but very light, and white.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, sounds like FPR went, hydrolocked the bike. then you fried the electrical system hooking it up to your truck. If it didnt fry odds are it will go soon. Do the FPR check and see if its leaking into your cylinders. then do the electrical checks to find out what all needs to be replaced.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:56 AM

93 octane? our bikes do not need that. It will not increase horsepower or mileage or whatever. Go with 87 and you'll be ok. Thats what the manual says.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:11 PM

thanks for the replies! What's an FPR?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 06 CBR 600 F4i; 4K miles, won'

"Search" is your friend. Fuel Pressure Regulator. There are 100 posts recently cuz thats how many have gone out in the last couple of months, lol.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:20 PM

I'm about to go crazy! Working from the work computer, I tried to get a post in over my lunch hour. I keep getting this error:
ASP 500 Error
An error occurred processing the page you requested.
Please see the details below for more information.
[align=center]

Program File Name
/postpro.asp

COM Error Number
-2146824867 (0x800A0D5D)

Error File Name
/postpro.asp

Line Number

Brief Description
Application uses a value of the wrong type for the current operation.[/align]

Old 11-03-2008, 02:23 PM

After 3 hours of trying, is my post finally going to go in ?!? Dang it!

Don't anyone tell me what an FPR is. I now know that an FPR is the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I went and looked it up. I sense a real project brewing. I need some help.

Diagnostic Questions:

If the electrical is fried, why are the fuses still intact? Wouldn’t the fuses have tripped and protected the rest of the system?
Why did the FPR go on such a low mileage bike?
How does water get into the gas tank? How do you prevent that in the future?
Would fuel injector cleaners work?
How could I have diagnosed an FPR if the bike wouldn’t even crank with the bike battery? Getting it cranked and seeing the error with the throttle (killing the engine) [/ol]

Possible Fixes:
I have 2 options -

Somehow drag it to a shop and get them to diagnose and fix everything to the tune of $60 to $80 an hour. I say “drag” because I don’t have a trailer. I don’t have a ramp to even get it in the truck.
Make all the fixes myself. [/ol]

Right now, I’m opting for #2 unless those on this board can convince me otherwise. I want to work on it myself so that I can learn how to fix my own bike. I also want to get a little deeper into this hobby other than just occasional riding.

Costs:
Let’s talk worst case scenario: I fried the electrical. I have to replace the FPR and the plugs. (Anything else?)

How much $ am I looking at if a shop does all of this work?
How much will I save if I do it myself?[/ul]

The Solution:
If I can get these questions answered, I promise to do a top notch job and post a project complete with pictures, durations and instructions on the project sub-folder when I’m done.

I need a service manual for a 2006 Honda CBR 600 F4i. Can someone point me to one?
What is the best parts supplier? Should I order online or just order from the dealer? Should I use used parts?
Are there any special tools I’ll need to make this happen? I have a basic set of car tools.
Any other tips or hints as I start this project? Can I get it done in a day if I’ve read and studied up and prepped everything beforehand?[/ol]

Thanks for everyone’s help and patience on this.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:26 PM

I now know that an FPR is the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I went and looked it up. I sense a real project brewing. I need some help.

Diagnostic Questions:
[ol][*]
If the electrical is fried, why are the fuses still intact? Wouldn’t the fuses have tripped and protected the rest of the system?[/align][*]
Why did the FPR go on such a low mileage bike?[/align][*]
How does water get into the gas tank? How do you prevent that in the future?[/align][*]
Would fuel injector cleaners work?[/align][*]
How could I have diagnosed an FPR if the bike wouldn’t even crank with the bike battery? Getting it cranked and seeing the error with the throttle (killing the engine) [/align][/ol]

Possible Fixes:
I have 2 options -

[ol][*]
Somehow drag it to a shop and get them to diagnose and fix everything to the tune of $60 to $80 an hour. I say “drag” because I don’t have a trailer. I don’t have a ramp to even get it in the truck.[/align][*]
Make all the fixes myself. [/align][/ol]

Right now, I’m opting for #2 unless those on this board can convince me otherwise. I want to work on it myself so that I can learn how to fix my own bike. I also want to get a little deeper into this hobby other than just occasional riding.

Costs:
Let’s talk worst case scenario: I fried the electrical. I have to replace the FPR and the plugs. (Anything else?)

[ul][*]
How much $ am I looking at if a shop does all of this work?[/align][*]
How much will I save if I do it myself?[/align][/ul]

The Solution:
If I can get these questions answered, I promise to do a top notch job and post a project complete with pictures, durations and instructions on the project sub-folder when I’m done.

[ol][*]
I need a service manual for a 2006 Honda CBR 600 F4i. Can someone point me to one?[/align][*]
What is the best parts supplier? Should I order online or just order from the dealer? Should I use used parts?[/align][*]
Are there any special tools I’ll need to make this happen? I have a basic set of car tools.[/align][*]
Any other tips or hints as I start this project? Can I get it done in a day if I’ve read and studied up and prepped everything beforehand?[/align][/ol]

Thanks for everyone’s help and patience on this.

Quick Reply: 06 CBR 600 F4i; 4K miles, won't start