CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   03 f4i unstable idle (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/03-f4i-unstable-idle-152341/)

jeremymik84 07-08-2014 08:36 AM

03 f4i unstable idle

Hey guys, I've been having a problem with my 03 F4i not wanting to idle correctly and running really rich lately. It started out of nowhere and I can't recall doing anything that would make it run rich other than swap from a scorpion aftermarket exhaust to a danmoto aftermarket exhaust. It died about 8 months ago and required a new regulator so I installed a new one on there but it just seems ever since then, the RPM's at idling isn't right.. Sometimes its at 1200 like it should be but if the bike gets up to about 210 or higher at red lights it wants to idle real low or even cut off.. Also when I first crank it up and drive to the end of my road to the stop sign (bout a half a mile) it wants to idle low then, but all the in between's is perfect. I have changed the spark plugs, cleaned the K&N air filter, and replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator. I am kind of at a loss for what to check to see about why it's running rich and smelling like gas out of the exhaust and why the idle is acting up.. I would greatly appreciate any advice or if anyone has had this problem and knows the fix I'd love to hear it. Thanks guys!

RudyGT 07-08-2014 01:02 PM

not sure of the history beyond where i got mine, but my bike had a dnd slip on and ran extremely rich, smelled like gas. so i took it to the dyno and got it tuned.
later, trying to repack the dnd i destroyed it accidentally, and replaced it with a yoshimura. now she runs lean in some rev ranges.
so the yoshimura has a 2-1/4 core and more packing while the dnd had a 2inch core. contrary to some belief i say a slip on makes differences.
as for idling, you could have a faulty fast idle wax unit im guessing its called. never delt with it. but i believe it has coolant flowing through and adjust your idle along with the idle screw.

jeremymik84 07-08-2014 01:57 PM

oh okay so i should change the slip on? and also i have tried turning my idle screw and it doesnt seem to do anything at all.. ive turned both ways and it doesnt move the RPM any at all.. and i guess i shouldve mentioned, the regulator i bought was used, should i test it to see if its working properly and if so how would i go about doing that? is it testing the battery at 5k rpms? i cant remember how i tested and figured it out last time lol

74demon 07-08-2014 02:11 PM

Did you replace the Fuel pressure regulator or the regulator/rectifier for the charging system?

The R/R is tested on the battery at 5K, the FPR is not.

Check to see if your idle adjuster has become disconnected at the throttle body.

jeremymik84 07-08-2014 02:21 PM

i replaced the regulator because my bike kept dying and not wanting to crank and stuff and tested it by doing what you said the battery at 5k rpm (couldnt remember if that was correct or not) and i changed the FPR because after research i thought it would fix the unstable idle and rich running. (guess i was wrong lol) and i believe it has because it doesnt do anything, im not 100% sure how to check that (still learning on these) how do i go about doing that?

jeremymik84 07-08-2014 02:22 PM

and what i mean by i think it has i mean i believe the idle adjuster has become disconnected

74demon 07-08-2014 02:32 PM

Take the air box off to access the throttle bodies. Look at the cable connection and see if it is still hooked up.

jeremymik84 07-08-2014 02:33 PM

easy enough, lol and if it has come disconnected im assuming the spring and washer and all are long gone, any idea for replacements? im assuming i cant reconnect it without these lol

74demon 07-08-2014 02:44 PM

When you get to it, you will see if the rod is still making contact with the plate on the idle shaft or not. There are a few adjustments that can be made in the linkage. Hopefully these have never been messed with....

jeremymik84 07-08-2014 02:50 PM

okay so basically if its still making contact and still has spring and washer attatched just thread it back into there and itll be good to go? sorry for the 20 questions just wanna make sure i got all the info for when i go to do it, got new fairings in yesterday so when i tear it apart i wanna fix all problems before putting it back together lol