F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

03 F4i issues-

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 F4i issues-

Ok, heres the deal, its a 2003 CBR600F4i, it has 8200 Miles on it, I've had this bike a little over a year. I bought it from a guy that had wrecked it not to long before I purchased it. I road the bike, the bike seemed fine, but may have some out of adjustment valves. Well, I parked the bike for the winter, almost 7 months. I get on the bike and ride it for like a week or so, and everything is going fine, running strong, good. Well, I jump on it today, and head out.. everything is going fine, until.. I'm cruising along going around 50-60mph, not riding the **** out of it, just cruising, and I change into 4th or 5th gear, wasnt paying that much attention, but all of a sudden it made some real loud clanking noises in the gearbox, so I automatically pull the clutch in and let it roll... so I'm all tore up at this point, so I figure, well I will see what kind of damage its done (cuz it sounded like it tore a gear out) so I start running threw the gears slowly, and they all worked fine, no noises at all. So I bring it home, and I run threw the gears again, setting still in the parking lot; no problems. Well, I noticed something as I was about to turn it off, I put it in nuetral still holding the clutch in, it runs real smooth, no rough sounds, but when I let go of the clutch and let it idol in nuetral it runs kind of rough, like something is touching something, but the bike doesn't try to move or anything... I'm gonna get the bike serviced, oil change, all that stuff; but I was wondering if anyone had a clue to why it would make a loud grinding/clanking noise in the gearbox once, but not again for the rest of the ride... the Honda shop mechanic said that it might just be because it needs to be serviced, but just because the transmission oil is old, does that make it clank real loud like that once?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the novel I wrote haha

RJ

Old 05-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely don't ride it anymore. Sounds like a bolt or something posibly came loose inside the clutch assembly. If it were me, I'd crack it open and inspect it. Something might become obviously apparent once in there; hopefully something simple.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:38 PM

-"I put it in nuetral still holding the clutch in, it runs real smooth, no rough sounds, but when I let go of the clutch and let it idol in nuetral it runs kind of rough, like something is touching something, but the bike doesn't try to move or anything..."

I Have this exact same issue, the idle speed doesn't change, nothing at all except the sound and vibrations coming from the bike when in neutral and clutch out. I have never had that first issue you had that triggered this. I just bought it used so I cant rule out that it happened to a previous owner. Please let me know what you find I might investigate also.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:13 PM

[quote=juno;784174
-I Have this exact same issue, the idle speed doesn't change, nothing at all except the sound and vibrations coming from the bike when in neutral and clutch out. I have never had that first issue you had that triggered this. I just bought it used so I cant rule out that it happened to a previous owner. Please let me know what you find I might investigate also.[/quote]

that just might be your clutch making the noise

Old 05-13-2009, 03:46 PM

I have the same issue with the clutch. Also bought the bike used, only about 4500 miles on it. Sitting in neutral with the clutch engaged there's no sound or vibration but as soon as I let the clutch out, there is a slight vibration. *shrug*

Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 PM

Sound to me like you just 'missed' a gear and it popped out on you (the loud noise). As for the noise when in neutral with the clutch out, as long as it is not violently loud, I would not be alarmed to hear a little clutch noise.

Better safe than sorry, but I wouldn't worry too much!

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:20 AM

Well I took it to a friend of mines, who has rode street bikes for like 10 years now. He has his own mechanics shop and all that, he took it out for a little ride, and said that the only thing he could say the noise was from was me missing a gear because I didnt have the clutch engaged all the way (I do shift fast sometimes) he also said that the clutch/no clutch vibration noises that I get is actually the way a street bike will idol, he started his 97 ZX7R and his 03 929 both up, and showed me, they both do the same exact thing. So he said I had nothing to be alarmed about.

Thanks everyone.
RJ