CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   '02 F4i OEM CCTL (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/02-f4i-oem-cctl-128565/)

MICHAELxMLB 07-20-2011 09:39 PM

'02 F4i OEM CCTL

I already know that there is a huge thread on this subject but I just want a straight-forward answer. I have the loud rattling as soon as i start my bike and it's just sitting there and when i'm riding. I assume the CCTL has gone bad.

So, where can i buy a new OEM CCTL? I just need the website and the Part-Number. I was looking on the CCTL thread and i read so many different answers that it just confused the he11 outta me. I followed some links but for a factory one they wanted ~$70. Does anyone know where to find one cheaper?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

supersnake83 07-20-2011 10:12 PM

The cheapest with lowest shipping is probably at Heartland Honda:

Honda Power Equipment, Honda Motorcycles, California Sidecar - Honda Powersports Parts Springdale, AR (888) 853-8468

Honda Powersports' 2002 Honda Street Bike CBR600F4 Parts List

Part number: 14520-MBW-J24 (CCTL)
Part number: 14523-MAL-A00 (gasket)

I read through the same thread, posted on it early on and have just decided to get the manual CCTL from APE (CBR ZONE). My take on the OEM is that it will just begin to cause the rattling sound after a few thousand miles and will require replacement when you get tired of the sound again.

I will do the install of the APE CCTL this weekend. From all of the posts I've read, once you have the manual CCTL in place and adjusted correctly, it will only require adjustment when the bike is tuned up or if any work is done that would mess with the adjustment of the Cam Chain (which, the only thing I can think of is a valve adjustment, if I am correct).

However, from the online how to's, the adjustment of the manual CCTL is pretty straightforward. Also, the APE CCTL is a performance part, which can be an advantage.

Edit:

For some reason, Heartland Honda's cart adds the old part number (J23) for the CCTL. If you order through them, give them a call to confirm the updated part (J24).

MICHAELxMLB 07-20-2011 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by supersnake83 (Post 1081634)
The cheapest with lowest shipping is probably at Heartland Honda:

Honda Power Equipment, Honda Motorcycles, California Sidecar - Honda Powersports Parts Springdale, AR (888) 853-8468

Honda Powersports' 2002 Honda Street Bike CBR600F4 Parts List

Part number: 14520-MBW-J24 (CCTL)
Part number: 14523-MAL-A00 (gasket)

I read through the same thread, posted on it early on and have just decided to get the manual CCTL from APE (CBR ZONE). My take on the OEM is that it will just begin to cause the rattling sound after a few thousand miles and will require replacement when you get tired of the sound again.

I will do the install of the APE CCTL this weekend. From all of the posts I've read, once you have the manual CCTL in place and adjusted correctly, it will only require adjustment when the bike is tuned up or if any work is done that would mess with the adjustment of the Cam Chain (which, the only thing I can think of is a valve adjustment, if I am correct).

However, from the online how to's, the adjustment of the manual CCTL is pretty straightforward. Also, the APE CCTL is a performance part, which can be an advantage.

Edit:

For some reason, Heartland Honda's car adds the old part number (J23) for the CCTL. If you order through them, give them a call to confirm the updated part (J24).

Thanks for the quick repsonse. Just to make sure the part i need is Ref. No. 4 and 5 in the diagram right? And as for the Ape i was considering it but i guess i'll just replace it with the OEM CCTL and if that goes out soon i'll go with the Ape

supersnake83 07-20-2011 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by MICHAELxMLB (Post 1081637)
Thanks for the quick repsonse. Just to make sure the part i need is Ref. No. 4 and 5 in the diagram right? And as for the Ape i was considering it but i guess i'll just replace it with the OEM CCTL and if that goes out soon i'll go with the Ape

Yes, that is correct. Part's diagram number 4 and 5 is what you need.

MICHAELxMLB 07-20-2011 11:09 PM

Ok thanks. I actually saw a video on YouTube where the guy takes the end bolt off then re-tightens the screw inside. So I'm gonna go ahead an try that and see if it works and if not I'm jus gonna buy a new one

SPR-GRN 07-21-2011 08:44 AM

That youtube video has come up before, the general consensus was that, if it worked at all, it would only be a temporary fix, and it would wear out quicker because of the additional tension on the spring.

boredandstroked 07-21-2011 11:08 AM

If you read all the threads on here about it you'd relize its not a lack of tension causing the rattle.