F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

02 f4i help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 f4i help please

Hi guys,

I'm new to this site so hopefully this is the right area to post this in.

I have a 2002 cbr 600 f4i.

My bike is acting funny. It's been fine just up till like the past week and I don't know if it's cause it's getting warmer out or what.

Basically here's what's going on.

When I first ride the bike it's fine. After it starts to warm
Up and be rode for a while the bike starts to bog and sputter which at some points is causing the solid fi light to come on and even sometimes
Backfire. The fi light usually comes on if it's at a low rpm (3000ish) and then will go Off if I get going quickly. Sometimes however it's causing the bike to stall out.

It has a two brothers aftermarket exhaust and a power commander.

Can someone point me in a direction for what I should be looking at here ?

My frustration is definitely growing lol.

Thanks in advance all I appreciate any insight.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:56 PM

I'd remove the power commander and see if the bike improves in performance. If it doesn't, well you know then that isn't the issue. Sometimes if the wrong map is programmed into it, it can cause all sorts of problems. But it sounds to me like it's getting too much gas and is flooding out.

EDIT: Also noticed you have an exhaust on it. Is there an aftermarket air filter installed as well?? Cuz if you dont, the PC is definately overkill, wont give you any gains just from a pipe.

Last edited by Matt5606; 05-10-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Not sure about air box. It just started happening though. I've put 3000km on the bike since I've had it and it's been fine? I didn't do any mods to it bought it this way. If I unhook pc will the bike still run without it? I have no specs on the model of it so I'll pull it apart when I get home.

Thanks for help

Old 05-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

jump the diag connector and pull the fault code. that will tell you where to start looking.

report back with the code number.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM

I have no idea how to do that ... Is there a thread with instructions on this? Thanks

Old 05-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

yes, many.

it's in the manual too.

in short....
there is a connector along the right frame rail under the seat. put a paper clip between the two terminals. turn on the key and count blinks of the light. long flashes are 10s, short flashes are 1s. 3 long with 2 short would be 32, for example.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:57 PM

I'm saying it could be the PC, just for the fact you said that it was working great in the cooler weather. Cool air = more air, and more air plus too much fuel would allow it to run without problems (per say). But as the outside temp gets higher, you get less air but with the same amount of fuel, and you start having these issues. Plus you said it yourself, "My bike is acting funny. It's been fine just up till like the past week and I don't know if it's cause it's getting warmer out or what." If you run the code checker, more than likely its gonna send you around in circles saying something is wrong, when the fault is actually with the PC. My 2 cents....

Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 PM

ok. So I had someone take a look with me and I don't think I have a power commander (I know I sound like an idiot but honestly guys I really don't know much about bikes) so we may have isolated that possibility.

Here's a picture. Thoughts?

HTML Code:
[IMG SRC="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/img0449g.jpg/"]
[/IMG]
I will post code once I get it.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the help so far guys I do appreciate it.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 PM

So that "box" you are holding in the picture, is NOT a PC, it is in fact the brains of your bike, or the computer. I would seriously doubt that that would be the issue, i thought mine had failed last year when it was just a series of simpler things that was wrong. Does your exhaust smell really stong of gas? If so, it could be your fuel pressure regulator (regulates fuel on your fuel line), or just crappy plugs/spark. Check the plugs to make sure they are a white-ish color, that way you know that the bike isn't running rich.

I would change out the spark plugs (unless they have been changed lately), and see if that fixes it. And check your air filter to see if it's getting enough air. That's basic maintenance.