F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

02 F4i, gas coming out of exhaust, please read

Old 09-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Default 02 F4i, gas coming out of exhaust, please read

Hey guys, I have to say I appreciate everything on this forum. I have completely rebuilt my F4I with the info on here. However, I have a problem. Here is the background info. My bike was sitting in storage for 7 long years. I put a brand new tank on the bike and every wire and tube is routed correctly. When my bike runs it fills up the engine with gas and comes out the exhaust. now from the research ive done I came to the understanding that my fuel return line to the tank might gummed up/varnished. With this in mind, I checked it and its fine. I also checked the operation of the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) and it seems to be doing its job quite well. Any tips guys? help me~!

Old 09-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

If it was a hot day and it was doing that, I'd say clogged vent on the tank.
Since you're talking new tank, and all hoses have been checked, I'm stumped.
Hopefully, some of the fuel-injected gurus will have an answer for you.
Just wanted you to know, your cry in the wilderness was heard. ;-)

Good luck, Ern

Old 09-23-2011, 06:05 PM

thanks mad hatter!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Administrator - Retired

I also checked the operation of the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) and it seems to be doing its job quite well.
How do you know it's ok? It sounds like it could very well be a fuel pressure regulator to me.
Or it could also be an injector that is stuck or broken... probably more likely the FPR, tho.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Administrator - Retired

Btw... I'm gonna move this to the F4i section for better exposure.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Thanks. LOL I dont know how to do that yet. Im lucky I could even post here. Thanks for the support guys!

Old 09-24-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
How do you know it's ok? It sounds like it could very well be a fuel pressure regulator to me.
Or it could also be an injector that is stuck or broken... probably more likely the FPR, tho.

I removed the return line from the FPR, then turned the key on and flipped the switch from off to run. This primed the fuel pump and I watched fuel spray out of the FPR. So I figured it was working ok. Is it possible all my injectors are stuck open?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Administrator - Retired

The fuel return may be fine.... but did you check to see if there is any fuel in the vacuum line? That's the little rubber hose on the FPR. (sits opposite the big fuel return line).
If the diaphragm in the FPR has a little leak... it will send fuel into this little vacuum line. The vacuum line runs to cylinders 2/3 and will make the bike run rich as all hell.
Symptoms of this happening include gas in the exhaust... gas in oil... gas friggin' everywhere.
It's a pretty common problem, too.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:43 PM

this is either a faulty fuel pressure regulator, or you have a stuck/leaking injector. in either event, its not super hard to repair/replace. these guys know more than I, as I"m just beginning to dabble in FI bikes and their dark works, which arent what I specialize in at my shop.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
The fuel return may be fine.... but did you check to see if there is any fuel in the vacuum line? That's the little rubber hose on the FPR. (sits opposite the big fuel return line).
If the diaphragm in the FPR has a little leak... it will send fuel into this little vacuum line. The vacuum line runs to cylinders 2/3 and will make the bike run rich as all hell.
Symptoms of this happening include gas in the exhaust... gas in oil... gas friggin' everywhere.
It's a pretty common problem, too.

Gotta check that. I ordered a new FPR. I hope thats the issue. It seems as if all cylinders are flooded to frig. Also can vacuum lines 1 & 4 just be plugged off? They just go to blanks on the air cleaner. I dont get it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 F4i, gas coming out of exhaust, please read

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.