F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

02 F4i Front/rear seat ?'s w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 F4i Front/rear seat ?'s w/ pics

I just picked up an 02 F4i, it runs strong but definitely needs some TLC..

Anyways the front seat is obviously missing its bolts,, the two plastic tabs is where it bolts down correct? 8-10mm bolts?

So basically I have to remove the undertail/tray to bolt it down?

Im not sure but it has a black plastic undertray/tail with it, aftermarket or not it keeps me from being able to get to the bolts for the front seat.

Also another PITA is the rear seat lock is broke, probably because somebody broke the "hook" that latches it down I guess. Im assuming I will need a whole new locking mechanism? It looks like where the rear seat "latches" is part of the subframe.. so hopefully it's not a big issue.

These may be dumb questions but I need to get these seats fixed before one comes off cause I plan on riding it daily. Heres a pic of the front and rear seat

Front:

Rear, with what looks like the mechanism that latches the seat on the subframe is broke off

Old 11-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRlS
I just picked up an 02 F4i, it runs strong but definitely needs some TLC..

Anyways the front seat is obviously missing its bolts,, the two plastic tabs is where it bolts down correct? 8-10mm bolts?
Yes, those tabs at the rear w/ the holes are where the seat bolts down. The tabs actually hold a washer sleeve (collar) for the seat bolts. However, those are often lost. The bolts are 4x12. You can just use regular washers or bolts w/ larger heads. You can get the parts at bikebandit...2002 Honda CBR600F4i Parts, 2002 Honda CBR600F4i OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com.

So basically I have to remove the undertail/tray to bolt it down?
No, you simply tighten down the seat screws into the subframe. Place front seat into proper position, lift corner(s) of seat & tighten down screws into subframe.

not sure but it has a black plastic undertray/tail with it, aftermarket or not it keeps me from being able to get to the bolts for the front seat.
See above ans.

Also another PITA is the rear seat lock is broke, probably because somebody broke the "hook" that latches it down I guess. Im assuming I will need a whole new locking mechanism? It looks like where the rear seat "latches" is part of the subframe.. so hopefully it's not a big issue.
It appears that the PO installed an aftermarket Fender Eliminator. In doing so, its necessary to relocate the lock itself, which it appears has been done. However, the mechanism that controls the lock via cable should still be intact. It appears from your pic that parts may be missing. Here is a pic of mine & how it should look...Name:  DCP_0241.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  110.0 KB
If you're missing parts, you can get those from bikebandit as well.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Banned

Well when I lift the back of the seat I dont see the tabs... I see the ones that face downward, I dont know how I would get at those from the side because they lay flat on the subframe.

And I also notice I am missing the final part of that cable, the part that hooks onto the subframe and latches the seat. Thank you for the pic that help solve that question.

Last edited by gotcbr; 11-26-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:31 PM

Took a pic for you to understand what I'm saying. As the seat sits in its proper postion, you lift the corner of the seat to secure w/ the screws. To *secure* - tighten down screws...to *remove*- unscrew them & remove...easy as that. Also, you can see both the screw & the screw-collar tightened down on the seat's plastic tab. You never have to access the bottom of those screws b/c they tighten down on their own against the plastic seat tab against the subframe.

Name:  P1060929.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  71.5 KB

Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Banned

Ahh ok yeah after seeiing your pic I figured it out. Sweet thanks man.

Ok so the front seat is good.

Any idea on how I can secure the rear seat temporarily until I get the part for the rear latch?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 AM

...Any idea on how I can secure the rear seat temporarily until I get the part for the rear latch?
Yep, you can use a piece of safety wire around the seat's hook that would normally be latched, & secure it to the subframe bar. It will take some doing but you can access it by removing your front seat & reaching up thru the trunk area. It won't be easy but you can do it. Otherwise, you'd have to remove part of your FE to get to it.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Banned

Ok Ill give that a shot. Thanks for the help sir!