CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   02 F4i Engine Swap (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/02-f4i-engine-swap-127254/)

lilpaco 06-21-2011 10:32 AM

02 F4i Engine Swap

Alright, So my 02 f4i has been popping out of 2ed gear back in Neutral around 5-7k. So go to the shop get a quote for 1500$ to put in a new fork new 2ed and 6th gear and labor. The guy suggested that I just swap the motor cuz it will be more cost effective. So after being instantly bummed out at the 1500$ price which is over half what I paid for, for the bike. I got on the always wonderful Craigslist and found
2004 Honda CBR Motor

Called the guy and he still had the motor wants 300 to take it home. ordered from honda has 3200 miles. its a 04 600 motor. Now what im I getting myself into?? :icon_shrug:

any issues on compatibility? fitting? anything at this point is a help. I found out about it yesterday so i've been poking around the forums reading up so I figured I get everyone else's 2 cents. Thanks!

thirdgenlxi 06-21-2011 09:17 PM

Dude grab a service manual and some tools and fix the tranny yourself.... it's really not that hard at all. Replacing an entire engine just due to it popping out of 2nd seems utterly silly to me. How do you know the used engine isn't gonna have the same prob? Or develop it shortly down the road. Do it yourself and the parts will prob be around $200 for the shift fork, 2nd and 6th gears, some copper sealing washers for the case bolts, and some fluids, then it's all fresh stuff and you won't have to worry about it

I'll be more than happy to walk you through it over the phone if you need it. That's just my opinion though....

And if you do still want to replace the whole motor, '02 and '04 are perfectly compatible with each other, no probs there

F34Me? 06-21-2011 09:22 PM

+1 to fixing your current engine. You have a better idea of its condition and how its been treated.

Also, buying an engine from a buyer who claims to have bought it from eBay and never used it sounds VERY shady to me! But I might be paranoid...

lilpaco 06-21-2011 11:38 PM

Thanks for the input, I Bought the bike this past owner back in October. Bike has 32k on the motor now. I called and talk to the guy he didn't get it off ebay he got it from honda and had paper work to back it. Says it has 3200 miles so im kinda at a cross road. I'm not opposed to doing the work at all. With ^ guidance and the few friends I know im sure I can get the work done. What would be better long run. new gears old block or newer block less miles?

mark1200 06-22-2011 05:07 PM

how can u go wrong at $300 for a new motor ? u can part it and make money if u change your mind.

lilpaco 06-23-2011 06:59 AM

That's kinda what I was thinking. going from 31k to 3200 sounded good enough.

Xander F4i 06-23-2011 10:44 AM

you could always transplant your current motor to a quad if you get the $300 motor...

but on the other hand doing the work to your current motor would help you bond with your bike and get to know it better