CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   02 CBR600 F4i strange issue (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/02-cbr600-f4i-strange-issue-132051/)

02cbraf 11-02-2011 05:57 PM

02 CBR600 F4i strange issue

Okay guys i am desperate to find out what is wrong with my bike! Let me just jump right in I have had the bike for about 3 weeks and up until about two weeks ago it was great. I took off on a little ride (about 30 min) around town and through the country, when I got back in town at a stop light I noticed that my headlight was bliking on and off, when i started riding it stayed on when i got about 3 miles down i stalled the bike and it wouldnt start again. ( I pushed it home about 1 mile) I went and bought a new battery for it charged the battery and was fine or so i thought. Rode it to wal-mart when I got there i saw the headlight was off again, got someone to push me off got home and left it. Came back out 4 hours later and it started right up mulitple times. Went out the next day and wouldnt crank. :icon_wheel:. I took it to the local Honda dealer and they said it was just a connection and they fixed it. Well it is not. Started off to church to night and noticed I needed gas, so when i stopped at the gas station noticed the light was flickering off and on again brought it home and turned it off and wouldnt start agian.:icon_wheel: I NEED SOME HELP (Charleston SC)

74demon 11-02-2011 07:11 PM

sounds like charging system malfunction. whats your battery voltage @4-5000 rpm? should be 13.5v to 14.5v.

jeffjones 11-02-2011 07:30 PM

My bike had a similar problem and it was the Rectifier.
They are notorious for going on the F4i

02cbraf 11-03-2011 05:31 PM

74demon, jeffjones thanks for responding i did check the voltage at 4-5000 and it is around 14.00 volts. i am in the process of uploading a video to better capture what is going on.

02cbraf 11-03-2011 07:44 PM

Here are the links to my videos of the bike in action or not: VIDEO0045 - YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdx-RkmOmW4

74demon 11-03-2011 08:49 PM

whats the voltage while trying to crank when its acting up?

sounds like the starter is drawing the battery to nothing or a bad connection.

few things to look at:
battery cables , both ends. clean and tight?
resistance of the ground cable
starter draw
voltage at the starter
load test the battery. i know its new, but maybe a defective p.o.s.

stewyF4i 11-07-2011 06:06 PM

i have seen this issue on my buddies r6 and it was a grounding issue with the starter. check there!!

02cbraf 11-14-2011 04:26 PM

okay guys and girls i finally just took it back to the shop because they said they would check it out again for free because they should have caught the problem the first time. this is what i was told because of the bad connection it made the R/R go out. They said that it would get hot and cut off then they would pour water on it and it would start working again so they suggested to replace that. Of course it would be 130+1hr shop labor for a total of around 200$. i dont have the funds for that so i just picked it up i can and will do the work just need the part and see if that works. we shall see. i will keep everyone up to date on this. thanks for the info.

02cbraf 12-26-2011 06:07 PM

Update!!!!And plea for help again.

okay well the R/R worked for about two weeks of daily driving. now i left for the weekend and came back 3 days later and the bike was dead so i charged it. took it off the charger and tried to start it and it acted like it wanted to but didnt. i push started it and rode it around for a bit then brought it home shut it off tried to start again and same result. I plugged it in the charger and it only took about 10 min. for it to be fully charged again. Then same result. Please help!

CJardine 12-26-2011 07:10 PM

I would check what 74demon said.