F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 F4I WONT START!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 F4I WONT START!

in out here in indiana right now and its cold *** hell. i start the bike every few days and let it run until its warm and shut it off. today i was gonna go ride for a bit since it was sunny out. still cold tho. started it. it took 3 tries. (maybe cause its so cold). it started. i let it run for about 3 mins. and then it started to sould choppy like it was miss fireing. so i turned it off. checked the oil and everything. it all looked fine. tried to start it again and it wont start now.

checked:
-spark
-gas (ful pump pumps)
-battery is fully charged
-sparyed some carb cleaner into the throttles (still didnt start)
-i have a FI light but it doesnt throw a code when i jump it. it stays solid. i read its some sort os ecu problem but its been runing fine for a while now.

any ideas guys?

any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Old 12-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Banned
Default RE: 01 F4I WONT START!

could you be flooded? Fouled plugs? Check the manual for the flooded start procedure, that has happened to me twice on my bike when I start it to move it without riding it.

i start the bike every few days and let it run until its warm and shut it off.
This is really not the best way to get through a winter. An oil change and a battery tender works better, some people also use 'stabil' for the fuel.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:15 PM

oil is fresh and its hooked up to the battery tender now. ill check the flood procedures. its weird. it was running and then it sputtered at idle while it was just sitting there.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:23 PM

99.9% of the time its the battery, especially int he cold. but since you checked...no idea what it could be. For the winter time, i leave my bike outside because I live in the city. This is what I do every year and my bike starts in the summer: Take the battery out leave it on a tender. Add fuel stabilizer. Cover the bike. So after reading your post try adding stabilizer to the fuel. Costs about 3 dollars. I'm 100% car literate and about 20% bike so I'm just throwing the idea out there.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 PM

Fuel pressure regulator may be on its way going out. The sputtering at idle and slowly killing itself is a symptom of that. Although that should not keep it from cranking. That will mostly just keep it from holding an idle on its own. So with that being said, i believe u may have 2 problems. One being the fuel pressure regulator and the other we need to trouble shoot it. Just because your fuel pump clicks on, does not mean that its pumping fuel. You should lift your tank and unhook the fuel line at the throttle bodies. Turn the key on and see if the fuel squirts out of the line. This will insure there is nothing wrong on the fuel pump side of the line. Which means the problem would start at the throttle bodies and on through.....Also IF the fuel pressure regulator is going out, it will start to foul #2 and #3 plugs pretty quick. It floods the #2 and #3 cylinders because the fuel back flows directly into those cylinders. Causing the fuel to flood the plugs. It could take a matter of minutes for them to foul out so bad they will not fire...........First just check the fuel at the throttle bodies as i siad. If you get fuel from the pump to the throttle bodies, then we'll move on to the next project...=-)

One step at a time. Process of elimination, and you can bet its a small problem...=-)

Old 12-07-2008, 11:13 PM

it does crank over with no problems. i drained the fuel and put new fuel in it. i can see the injectors shooting into the cylnders when i tried to start it after i sprayed some carb cleaner into it. check the spark from the coil and it sparks. i gotta take out the plugs and look at it tomrrow.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 AM

pulled the plugs out and they are black! it wasnt really wet tho.

in order from left to right 4321

[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-08-2008, 10:07 AM

Yes those plugs are screwed. While u are at it, u should check the fuel pressure regulator since u already have the tank up. It wouldnt hurt to check, just to make sure. Pull the hose from the fuel pressure regulator that goes into the throttle bodies. If ur sitting on the bike, should be the hose on the right side of the fuel pressure regulator.....IF you have ANY fuel in that hose, i would look into replacing it. Sometimes u have a little fuel, because its starting to go bad and sometimes theres alot of fuel because its basically shot.....If theres no fuel in that hose, then its still good to go.......I know for a fact it will foul #2 and #3. But looks as though all 4 of yours are fouled....Just wouldnt hurt to check it while u have the tank up anyways.....=-)

Old 12-08-2008, 10:27 AM

im going to order new spark plugs today. when i pulled that hose off the tank a bunch of gas came out. it came out of the hose and from the fuel pump. so that means the fuel pressure regulator is bad? and it just kept on coming out from the tank

Old 12-08-2008, 11:27 AM

Excuse me i was wrong.......Check the hose on the LEFT side of the fuel pressure regulator, not the RIGHT.........The RIGTH side goes to the tank, and LEFT side goes to the throttle bodies.....=-)

My bad, sorry about that.....=-)

Quick Reply: 01 F4I WONT START!