F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 F4i trouble shoot

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 F4i trouble shoot

Here is one I just can't seem to figure out.

Bought this bad boy that was wrecked for 350. Motor completely sound though.

It was a stunt bike and it had some umph too it.

It still had the stunt tank on it so I chose to buy a cheap spare tank.
I took it to a radiator place and they ccleaned it out real good. I used transmission fluid in the tank to keep it wet until I was ready to paint and install.

Before install my bike had plenty of power. Sounded loud and mean, every time I went to start the bike it start at 2k rpm and mellow at 1500.

After the tank somehow some dirt or something got into the tank of my bike because I was driving and right when my fuel got low it started to make this terrible loud sound. I also lost accerate on power Completely. I can't even in 4th gear pull fast above 50 mph like before. Also my rpm is only 900- 1k.

I've put seafoam and jet cleaner in it. I've also used seafoam my tank and vent line. That did nothing. I pulled out my fuel Pump again. And cleaned out the fuel filter I'm assuming It was and a ton of brown fluid came out.well that worked for about 90 miles and then my issue of no acceleration came back. I have videos of both before and after so maybe you'll hear my issue.

I also just cleaned that filter out and more gunk.came out. I also put fresh sparkplugs in. If I can't figure it out I will start . replacing my entire fuel.system even though I don't want too.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Old 04-27-2014, 05:01 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So when the "problem" happens, are you still running on all cylinders, or are you dropping a cylinder? And you mean that 9-1000 RPMS when you're idling, right?

I would guess that a fuel injector is clogged since you've replaced the spark plugs (and it seems like the coils were working just fine before) and you've had to clean the pump and clean/replace the fuel filter.

What's the inside of the new tank look like? Really rusty? When you bought it, was it open (i.e. no lid or fuel pump)?

Even if the inside looks okay when you buy an open tank, you need to rinse it out with at the very least gasoline (or something like MEK).

I hope it starts to run correctly for you. Go ahead and post some pictures and vids of it running.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:40 AM

If you can borrow fuel pressure gauge it would be good idea to see if pressure drops when riding. Also fuel delivery from the return line is a good place to start fault finding. If pressure and delivery is ok, then it maybe injector issue.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 AM

I think I miss explained something. When I cleaned my filter, the smaller canister on the fuel pump assembly, it had a TON of gunk that came out. It ran fine for 1 day and started to act up again. I tried it again yesterday and cleaned it AND A TON more gunk came out, and it ran for a good 30 miles amazingly and then it stopped. I am going to order 2 Incase it's still my tank having stuff come off of it some reason. Should I order the Pump as well or just the filter you'd think?

Old 04-27-2014, 10:31 AM

Change the filter. I would not change the pump right away. Personally I just don't like to order parts randomly. It saves money to properly diagnose the problem first

Old 04-27-2014, 03:51 PM

I can't seem to Find anyone to sell that small filter. Almost like it is not a filter!

Old 04-28-2014, 01:51 PM

Update on this, changed filter, still no true power. I have to ride in 3rd gear to hold 70moh at 7500rpm. Unsure what I should do next, check the fpr?

Old 04-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the vaccum hose off of the FPR when running. If gas coming through its bad. That is that. It doesnt take much to get the injectors clogged up bud. The pump could be bad forcing all of that crap through it. Could be blocked up. I know it sucks and all that but there isnt a thousand things it can be ya know. You have a new filter. Make sure all the lines are clear. The fuel rail and FPR. I would hook up the fuel pressure gauge to see where your drop in power is and if its related to the pressure. Otherwise, Im leaning towards the pump itself, or the injectors. Bad fuel is just all around bad news. Leads to too much crap. Still havent really said about the condition of the tank either. Must have been a ****load of rust and such and what not if it kept pulling that much rust liquid out. YOu may want to solve that problem first if you havent already. Vinegar, redkote, something. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 AM

I'll check the fpr today. I am starting to think my pump is clogged. I can get the pump for like 35 bucks so I'm going that route. I checked the fpr line but I turned the motor off. I'm also going to check of my hoses a kinked. I pulled my air vent hose out of the tank because it was kinked and it helped for a short time. I feel like it'll be my pump clogged up. If I let it run and warm up for 15 minutes and get it around 200 degrees it runs fine sometimes so. Also I noticed my cct is going out so I'm replacing that this week.