F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 F4I Indicator lights & won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 01 F4I Indicator lights & won't start

ORIGINAL: lxi226

01 F4I rode for ~1 hr set for 10 min then turned on the key, put on my helmet went to start it and noticed the turn and high beam indicator lights were on as well. started for ~1sec and shut itself off keeps doing this. Won't start....anybody no what's going on????

Thanks in advance
yup, i've got the exact same problem right now. When I pull the headlight fuse, the turn signals and high beam light go out, and the fuel pump works, but the engine won't turn over. I just changed the oil and i had to bang on the socket wrench a couple of times trying to get the bolt off. I bashed the kickstand a couple of times on accident and i might have jarred something loose there. I'm going to try messing with the kickstand switch when i get home to see if that helps...

edit: my buddy sent mea link to this website:
http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/...g_replace.html

I'll mess with that if the kickstand switch idea doesn't work.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:35 PM

Looks like pin or harness problem.

Just got home and pulled the fuses. It took 3 (the h/light, turn/stop and Ind/meter) fusesbefore the fuel pump wound up.

Started right up and after a minute was able to put back in the turn/stop and Ind/meter but putting in the h/light just killed it. Putting on the turn signal also killed it.

Getting ready to pull the fairings off now. Have no idea where the headlight relay orupper sub-harness/forward harness are but sure I'll find it.

Anyone recommend a good shop manual or equivalent...better yet free web sites with tech details?

thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:24 PM

ok, its on the front of the bike, you have to check the green wire... That's what others did. Try cleaning the green wire on the connection between the main harness and front sub harness... The only thing you have to remove to fix the problem is your upper fairing, the headlight fuse (if you have to replace it) is on the little box on the right (if your sitting on the bike).

If you look at the connection between the two harness you will see the pin is corroded.

This should be a sticky, It's a common problem on the F4i ... Seems to be only the 01-03 right now.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: suicidal

ok, its on the front of the bike, you have to check the green wire... That's what others did. Try cleaning the green wire on the connection between the main harness and front sub harness... The only thing you have to remove to fix the problem is your upper fairing, the headlight fuse (if you have to replace it) is on the little box on the right (if your sitting on the bike).

If you look at the connection between the two harness you will see the pin is corroded.

This should be a sticky, It's a common problem on the F4i ... Seems to be only the 01-03 right now.

Sweet, Thanks!! layman's terms! +1

Old 07-17-2007, 02:32 PM

I fixed it, Sweet. I documented what I did in these pictures below. Thanks for the help everyone!! Now I can start riding again...

I agree with you suicidal, this sound be a sticky since everyone has this problem...

Old 07-17-2007, 03:23 PM

Wow, you make me want to clean my gauge cluster...lol

Old 07-17-2007, 06:42 PM

wow so it only needed cleaning? I bought a new sub-harness and realay.. it was actually on 30 bucks but stilllll.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 PM

yup, I just took a wire brush and a screwdriver to it and scrapped it down to the bare copper and it fired right up.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:14 PM

suicidal/FLYOU

Fixed mine!!! Thanks very much. Sub harness pin and wire looked fine, same with the relay connections. Just unplugged them both and plugged them back in.

Found the thread and downloaded the manual.

Thanks again and great site!!!!!
Todd

Old 07-17-2007, 09:18 PM

did honda ever recall any bikes for this since it's sort of a safety issue? my engine cut out going 50mph in bumper to bumper traffic...

Quick Reply: 01 F4I Indicator lights & won't start