CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   01 f4i fuel pump not priming (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/01-f4i-fuel-pump-not-priming-136062/)

jworkman78 03-27-2012 07:04 PM

01 f4i fuel pump not priming

So my bike has been running fine up to this point. I tried riding it today and went to start it and the fuel pump doesn't prime. I'm new to working on this bike so I am learning as I am going. I wired the fuel pump up to the battery to see if it was bad or not and it runs fine when connected to direct power source. when i turn the ignition key all of the gauges move and light up but the headlight does not turn on which i know means something (BAS sensor) any help would be much appreciated. also i do not know where any of the sensors or relays are that you guys talk about so when you talk about one of them can you let me know where to find them on the bike. Thanks!

LT.Dan603 03-29-2012 03:41 PM

not sure but it might be your kill switch came unsolderd open it up and check it out if it something else post it up

jworkman78 03-30-2012 09:58 AM

ok i will do that. could it also be the headlight is burnt out? i think i read on here that cbr's might have a safety system if the headlight is burnt out that it won't start?

dveldtf4i 03-30-2012 01:15 PM

Could be the bulb connection is loose. It'll run as long as there's a connection even if it's burnt out.

I'd check all wiring harnesses and double check to make sure there's nothing grounding out. Also check the kill switch and kick stand switch.

Kind of the same thing that happened to me, and I never found my problem, but after disconnecting/reconnecting everything in the front end the problem went away.

jworkman78 03-30-2012 03:47 PM

alrighty thanks man. those are good ideas. did you use any contact cleaner or electrical grease on any of your connectors? the only reason why i wouldn't think it would be the kickstand is because it still tries to turn over....theres just no spark and no gas.

F4I_Bob 03-30-2012 05:58 PM

Iv had my headlight off and bike still starts and runs even with out bulbs. I'm willing to bet its you BAS. Just take the windscreen off and jump that. its semi common for them to go bad. i know mine was. If you jump it and everything is fine, leave it jumped (do a good clean job and make a proper jump wire), and put it back together, or replace the BAS.

jworkman78 03-30-2012 06:19 PM

The BAS is in-between the two headlights correct? It has three wires I think. Do you know which ones to jump?

Thanks for the help!

jworkman78 03-30-2012 09:00 PM

Ok so i am super frustrated now. i by passed the BAS sensor or what i thought was the BAS sensor and still nothing. Then i went through all of the bikes connectors and cleaned them with contact cleaner. i also disconnected the battery and the cpu. STILL NOTHING. i have no idea what do. Some one help me before i kick over my bike. PLEASE HELP. thanks

dveldtf4i 03-31-2012 10:00 AM

Fuses? I know you jumped the fuel pump directly to the battery, so you would have bypassed those. Leave it all connected correctly and check the voltage at the fuel pump with the key turned on (not sure what it's supposed to be, but there's a manual around here somewhere)

I'm leaning towards a short somewhere. If I can find them, I might have some spare bulbs I can send you, just not sure where they are since I moved a few months ago.

jworkman78 03-31-2012 08:39 PM

Alrighty. I will let you know. I checked the fuses (they are located under the main seat correct)? Yeah i never thought of a short. ill have to look for that. but would a short cause the fuel pump and the spark plugs to not get power?