F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 F4i dies when riding and wont start. electrical.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 F4i dies when riding and wont start. electrical.

did some searching with mixed luck... Every once and a while, I will come out to my bike to find that the trip meter and clock have reset. like the power was cut briefly. no real pattern to it other than the longer I leave it the more likely it is to happen. lately its been doing it after sitting for just a couple hours and once when I stopped for gas.

Then, yesterday, I was coming back from a long ride and my bike just died immediately. no acting up, just all of the sudden. head light went out, instrument cluster light up light a christmas tree (high beams, blinkers, neutral,...) tried to start it and it will start and immediately die once I let go of starter button. itll crank and crank to no end so batt and charging system appear to be ok. then, if I try to start it and while cracking the throttle wide open, after a try or two, it will start up and run fine until the problem pops up again, which was a total of 3 time in 10 minutes yesterday.

not sure whats going on but every time I have the problem, my instrument cluster will trip out so I dont think its fuel/spark/timing related. had decent amount of gas so dont think thats it, plus if its fuel related, the instrument cluster should look like it does when the ignition is in the "on" position, which isnt ALL lit up.

Any thoughts? does this sound like the infamous loose cluster connector or is it something else based on starting at wot?

Thanks in advance.

-Brendan

Last edited by deanp; 07-31-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:06 PM

#1 solution when something trippy is happening:

Take off connections to battery. Clean all wire ends and contacts with a soft wire brush or fine sand paper. If there is a loose or bad connection it will manifest itself in the problems you are having.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:24 PM

so cleaned up the cluster connectors and the battery terminals. took it for a 15 minute ride and was fine. started and restarted it many times and the gauge cluster is no longer doing what it used to when the problem was present. (not to imply that it is fixed)

New problem, kinda. Now, every single time I turn the key from the "on" position, my clock and trip meter resets. This used to happen occasionally but now it happens every time.

checked my fuses and all is well there. Any ideas?

-B

Old 08-09-2009, 04:29 PM

fail. I cleaned up the batter terminals/connections as well as a few grounds. I checked the clips to the instrument cluster and cleaned those up as well.

Yesterday the bike died again. I cant hear the fuel pump buzzing so thats giving me a hint. Also, the bike will continue to run if I hold down the start button. I can adjust the throttle and even get it to "run" at any rpm I want but once i release the starter button, the bike will kill immediately. Its like the starter button is sending power to something that will allow it to run but once I release the starter switch, that power stops and so does the engine.

What are the typical symptoms of a failed engine cut relay, fuel cut relay, bank angle sensor?
the starter switch does send juice to the engine cut relay.
any thoughts?

Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can start by "jumping" your BAS by connecting the two outter wires with a jumper wire.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:56 PM

green wire in your harness by the headlight probably came out of the pin. typical f4i issue

Old 08-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Default try this

I would try to take your battery cables off an make sure the wires are not rusted inside the plastic covering. I had this happen to a truck i had and changed spark plugs, distributer cap etc til i found this easy cheap fix.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:37 PM

so back to square one. starting all over with the diagnostic process.

just to recap... symptoms

-My clock doesnt have power when the ignition is off. it and the trip meter reset every time I turn off the ignition. "battery" wire to cluster is only getting .7 volts
-instrument panel lights all illuminate when I turn the ignition to "on"
-Headlight turns off when engine dies
-engine will not run unless I hold down the start button. dies immediately when released.
-fuel pump wont prime.
-Getting signal from BAS
-Engine stop relay appears to work when I test it but I am not getting power through it to the white/black wire so... this is pretty confusing

battery connections are super solid. cleaned up one ground by the radiator. Fuses are all good and have never blown.

so far, the possible problems that have been previously discussed in other threads with similar symptoms include:
-bad battery connections (mine are solid as hell)
-blown fuses (none blown for me)
-blown headlight relay
-loose headlight wire
-loose green/yellow wire in headlight clip.
-loose grounds (which ones and where are they?)
-short (god I hope not)
-oil pressure sender (dont know how that would be the problem)
-water in speedo

can you guys let me know if Im missing anything here or if it is unlikely that any of these are whats wrong with my bike.
+Is it possible that my engine stop relay is faulty? I have yet to read about one going out.
+What voltage should I be getting on the cluster "battery" wire?

Ill do some more testing tonight... and thanks for the help

-B

Last edited by deanp; 08-10-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

man it sounds like a wire is faulty and that's never easy to figure out which one.

I'm stumped you've already checked everything I would have. Time to take it to a trusted shop in your area I'm afraid

Old 03-31-2010, 10:47 PM

did anyone ever figure this out because im having the exact same problem, and im new to bikes so i dont know a whole lot.

Quick Reply: 01 F4i dies when riding and wont start. electrical.