CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   01 cbr600F4i wont start (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/01-cbr600f4i-wont-start-117272/)

2000lightning 10-04-2010 07:40 PM

01 cbr600F4i wont start

Bike ran perfectly and then let it sit in a heated garage for 2months. During this time I installed rear blinkers. I cut the existing wires and soldered on new connectors. So the bike turns over and the fuel pumps kick on and the bike wants to start but wont catch. Today I changed the plugs and it still wont catch. I tested and there is spark. Should I change the fuel filter next or what? I am running out of ideas. Any help is much appreciated. Also no warning lights on the dash and the headlight comes on with the key and turns off when the start button is pressed like its supposed to.

nickp123 10-04-2010 08:15 PM

well if its turning over and getting spark but not starting then its obviously either not getting air or fuel soo it could be a timing problem. Start by checking to make sure your fuel pump is actually pumping and then check your timing.

nickp123 10-04-2010 08:17 PM

battery and stator and everything is good too right? youre not overlooking something like that?

2000lightning 10-04-2010 08:33 PM

Battery is brand new and charged. Not sure about the stator. Where is the stator and how do I know if its bad? The timing can be off from just sitting? I hear the pump coming on when I turn the key. How do I check to make sure its pumping?

nickp123 10-04-2010 08:56 PM

that round metal cover on the left side of your bike is the stator cover so its under that. You can unplug the one harness coming from it and measure it with a voltmeter. The other way is to start the bike and unhook the positive terminal on your battery but thats not an option for you. Does push starting the bike work?

2000lightning 10-04-2010 09:04 PM

I havent tried push starting because the bike turns over with the key. Didnt figure that push starting it would do anything because the bike is already turning over and just not starting. Doesnt the stator have something to do with charging the battery. The battery holds the charge while trying to start for quite a few attempts.

nickp123 10-04-2010 09:18 PM

the stators like an alternator on a car, just runs the electronics while the bike is running. I ignored you mentioning that it turns over in the first post. That wouldnt be the timing or fuel then my bad. Did you mess with any of the grounds when you were changing the blinkers? check your grounds and check your gas since it sat for 2 months. Air and moisture/condensation can degrade the gas especially if it sat with less than a full tank

2000lightning 10-04-2010 09:45 PM

For the blinkers I just cut the stock connectors off and soldered on a new connector to each wire and plugged into the new blinker. When I changed the plugs I drained about 2 gallons of fuel from the tank. Should I change the fuel filter? The bike ran perfect before and ive never had a problem starting it after six months down for winter.

motorhorse 10-04-2010 11:31 PM

ya the stator has nothing to do with this...i know its stupid but does it have fuel? if the fuel pump is priming, you have fire, and the motor is turning over i dont see how the motor could not run. no codes? you positive its getting spark? did you check more than one cylinder?

motorhorse 10-04-2010 11:34 PM

i would say check the compression. but that doesnt sound right if it was running fine last time you shut it off...