F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012 | 05:35 PM
|
Default Wheel bearings

How hard is it to swap out. The front wheel bearing? I was told by the shop when they put on a new front tire that my bearing was bad and they suggested that next time I get a new tire they will replace it... Well f them I hate when shops touch my bike so ima just do it myself. I found the bearings and seals for like 20 bones so I'm going to go ahead and place the order for that and a new oil pan gasket just to replace that as well.

Old 07-12-2012 | 01:26 PM

I just did mine front and rear and I used a socket extension to tap them out from the inside. Then I used a socket the same size as the outer race to tap them in. That's how the clymers manual says to do it if you don't have the tools.
Some will say you need specialized tools for everything but if you listen to most forum people, you'll have $10,000 in tools you rarely use.

Old 07-12-2012 | 07:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

Tap them out chasing around the race from the back-side. I use a 1/4"x6" drift.

To re-install the new (roller!) bearings, I use a piece of 1/2" all-thread and some big
washers and 2 nuts. Gently start the bearing and then insert the all-thread thru the
bearing with one washer/nut attached, pass it thru the hub, add the second washer/nut
and start cranking. Only do ONE side at a time! Some things shouldn't be short-cut.

This is a cheap/easy way to install any bearing that you can access, through and through.

The socket method will work, IF you are very careful to drive the bearing squarely into it's seat.
If you get it even a little offset, you will potentially damage both the seat and
the bearings outer-race. So be very careful, if you go that route.

Ern

Old 07-13-2012 | 12:13 AM
|

Sounds good thanks guya

Old 07-13-2012 | 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Tap them out chasing around the race from the back-side. I use a 1/4"x6" drift.

To re-install the new (roller!) bearings, I use a piece of 1/2" all-thread and some big
washers and 2 nuts. Gently start the bearing and then insert the all-thread thru the
bearing with one washer/nut attached, pass it thru the hub, add the second washer/nut
and start cranking. Only do ONE side at a time! Some things shouldn't be short-cut.

This is a cheap/easy way to install any bearing that you can access, through and through.

The socket method will work, IF you are very careful to drive the bearing squarely into it's seat.
If you get it even a little offset, you will potentially damage both the seat and
the bearings outer-race. So be very careful, if you go that route.

Ern
That's a great way to do it. Wish I thought of that before i used the socket method. Now I'm a little worried I messed something up.

Old 07-13-2012 | 04:47 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

If it's working, you did fine. I just wanted to point out the potential issue, so others are
aware and able to compensate (before any damage is done), if using such a method.

Ern

Old 07-17-2012 | 07:53 PM

That's a good one Ern. Surprised I didn't think of that. Damned early onset Alzheimer's! I Tapped mine in and noticed, on the front one, that it was a little difficult to put the axle in. After I finally got them in and tightened things all up they were fine. I felt them seat. Just last night I had the front wheel off to put the fender on and the axle went right back in. That tells me that everything's ok.